B4J Question Easiest way to go from UI-app to non-UI webapp?

kostefar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Dear All,

I just figured that I had to use the non-UI jserver library (release mode) for a project where I normally have a very simple form showing 8 labels with text, that changes their colors depending on various connection states while the app is running.
So since I can´t use my form anymore, I suppose that I´ll need to set this up as a webapp where I can see the labels in my browser instead.
I have found tons of examples on webapps here, but all seem to be bigtime overkill compared to my simple need.
Does anyone know what would be the simplest way to port the GUI part of my project to a webapp?
All the non-UI code runs fine, I just need to be able to see the labels.

EDIT: This can be deleted. If I do this, I´d also need to find a way to substitute an invisible webview in the original app, which is used for running javascript code. I know it´s not gonna be rocket science, but my time is a bit limited and I think the quickest thing for now is to have the server code in a separate non-UI app that the original app will be talking to.

Last edited:

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Indeed it would be useful to have the possibility to develop a web server (websocket) complete with GUI; I would need it, given that now I'm forced to create a special client to administer the server.

We should ask the question in the forum "bug & wish ..." but I am sure that Erel knows this situation, at least thanks to your previous questions, which I have already read.

Upvote 0

kostefar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Indeed it would be useful to have the possibility to develop a web server (websocket) complete with GUI; I would need it, given that now I'm forced to create a special client to administer the server.

We should ask the question in the forum "bug & wish ..." but I am sure that Erel knows this situation, at least thanks to your previous questions, which I have already read.

Yeah so I did the same as you, made a separate app for this which is not so superawesome because the other app with the humble GUI is also a separate one - kept separate from everything else because it needs to be there 24/7, and building its functionality into other apps I´m running could be dangerous if they crash because of new bugs introduced when I´m adding new features.
Nevertheless, I think there are more important things to wish for. This is a non-UI jetty library that´s been wrapped, and it´s not because of b4j that it´s non-UI. It´s possible that outthere there´s another library with similar functionality which is UI compatible, but someone would have to wrap it, which costs money and I don´t think there´s a really huge demand for this.
Setting up a webapp interface would for me be a solution as good as having an in-app GUI - I just have higher priorities than exploring how this can be done.
It didn´t take me that long to split the project into two, and as long as I don´t start seeing memory issues it´s all good.
Now, the really cool thing would be to have a way to set up a webapp UI in the exact same way as the b4j designer is used, so that you hardly need to study anything to get there.

Upvote 0