iOS Question Enough with Apple - What can I do?

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Today, I 've had enough with Apple. I uploaded an application which has to identify the user uniquely and in order to do that I thought of UDID (failed because it is not accessible), then I thought of AppleID (failed with the same cause) and I ended up with Facebook and Google authentication and built and finished the application. Now they are torturing me almost 2,5 weeks with how the application looks like this and how does it look like that and their latest "hit" is the "we do not allow the users to give their data through Facebook or Google from the beginning but the users have to test your application and give their data after".

I am completely lost here. How can I identify the user uniquely with an ID that will not be changed if the application is removed and reinstalled in the same or another phone in order to be accepted in the back end with this unique ID. In Apple they are completely since I told them "these are the facts suggest me a solution" and the solution was "mumble mumble mumble... follow the guidelines."

Did anyone faced this before? Also a suggestion for this will be highly appreciated...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry, I don't have any help for you. However, I'm just curious why it is important that the ID stays the same if the app is uninstalled and then reinstalled?

Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Today, I 've had enough with Apple. I uploaded an application which has to identify the user uniquely and in order to do that I thought of UDID (failed because it is not accessible), then I thought of AppleID (failed with the same cause) and I ended up with Facebook and Google authentication and built and finished the application. Now they are torturing me almost 2,5 weeks with how the application looks like this and how does it look like that and their latest "hit" is the "we do not allow the users to give their data through Facebook or Google from the beginning but the users have to test your application and give their data after".

I am completely lost here. How can I identify the user uniquely with an ID that will not be changed if the application is removed and reinstalled in the same or another phone in order to be accepted in the back end with this unique ID. In Apple they are completely assholes since I told them "these are the facts suggest me a solution" and the solution was "mumble mumble mumble... follow the guidelines."

Did anyone faced this before? Also a suggestion for this will be highly appreciated...
Quite easy. You can use keychain. If the app is removed from device, keychain will be preserved. If the device changes, you can use a restore button to move or copy the user id to new device.

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry, I don't have any help for you. However, I'm just curious why it is important that the ID stays the same if the app is uninstalled and then reinstalled?

It is a back end reason. It is required in the back end on the Internet.

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Many applications (B4i and not B4i) use Firebase Authentication service. Not sure why they rejected it. Maybe they misunderstood the usage.

The official explanation was that I require it in the beggining of the application and do not allow to the users to check the application without giving their personal data. Possibly a GDPR thing but when I asked them they said it is basically our Guidelines.

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Quite easy. You can use keychain. If the app is removed from device, keychain will be preserved. If the device changes, you can use a restore button to move or copy the user id to new device.

Thanks tufanv. It looks like a solution but I do not understand the restore key part. I have no experience with keychain and I wonder if you mean from the back end or something else?

Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks tufanv. It looks like a solution but I do not understand the restore key part. I have no experience with keychain and I wonder if you mean from the back end or something else?
If you can tell us, what you will do with the device id, we can think about it. Probably you will need a backend to move the id to another device.

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Probably you will need a backend to move the id to another device.

My games use backend generated IDs and while the idea was interchangability between devices (you could even mix between Android & IOS) to keep scores in sync
without the need for an email, login/password but they didn't like it either.

They thought it could/would be used to assign/add features to the app bought outside of their cashing system (read losing their 30% cut).

It's still there but hidden and still reachable just in case someone needs it.

So yes they are more picky since 1.5 years as it was no problem for years before.

Some lady even called me to force me to use their leaderboard stuff which sucks major and is too limited (and easy to hack/cheat).

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
If you can tell us, what you will do with the device id, we can think about it. Probably you will need a backend to move the id to another device.

Actually the way I see it it is not completely necessary to move to another device the "device ID" since all I want is to identify who the user is in case of 2 similar phones (f.e. 2 brothers with the same iPhone). For the installation in a new iPhone, I'll probably think of something. Your explanation was more than clear. Thank you again.

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
My games use backend generated IDs and while the idea was interchangability between devices (you could even mix between Android & IOS) to keep scores in sync
without the need for an email, login/password but they didn't like it either.

They thought it could/would be used to assign/add features to the app bought outside of their cashing system (read losing their 30% cut).

It's still there but hidden and still reachable just in case someone needs it.

So yes they are more picky since 1.5 years as it was no problem for years before.

Some lady even called me to force me to use their leaderboard stuff which sucks major and is too limited (and easy to hack/cheat).

In Apple they are completely boneheaded people and not flexible at all. They are torturing their clients and I am really thinking if it worth it to pay to them the 99$ since if I knew the way they act I would never do that.

Upvote 0