iOS Question Enterprise Licensing of app

karld

Licensed User
Longtime User
I posted this over in the Android forums. But I need the same advice on the IoS side.

I have a company who wants to purchase an enterprise license for one of my apps. We are talking at least 1500 copies.

I have never done anything with licensing in my apps.

Is it possible to allow them to install as they need, but limit how many copies can be installed?

This in not in my normal area, so to speak.

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
You will need a back end in the Internet which will count the amount of times an activation code you will issue was used. Then it's a piece of cake...

Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
or setup a server
add a table to sql database with a row name remaining and set it to 1500
change it to minus 1 with every activation.
:)

Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My advice in the Android forum holds here too, with one major change: You need to get your app on the app store, so if you make a custom app for them, you really need to hide that fact and make it look like any app out there. Apple can be really cranky about this topic: "This app is not suited for the general app store, please look into our enterprise program yada yada yada"

Upvote 0

karld

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sandman
The app has been on the app store for several years now.
I have been thinking of doing a version as a "demo App" and have an activation key to unlock full functionality.
I could then provide them a key that will "Unlock" the number of copies they purchased.

Still mulling it over.

Upvote 0

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
I dont know how Apple handles licensing outside of the App Store. as we all know, they want a piece of the pie. Also, the last time I tried to upload a "demo" style app, it got rejected for the lack of functionality, and the fact that it says Demo in it.

They may force you to use In-App Purchasing through the Apple system to unlock licensing/functionality. But I dont know.

So when doing custom logins, or custom activations of an app outside of the App Store, Not sure how they feel about that in the rules. I am kinda interested in that one myself. There are definitely gray areas here, I know there are apps on there that require logins, you know, like google/facebook/etc. But, Not sure how this entails into licensing/activation.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I dont know how Apple handles licensing outside of the App Store. as we all know, they want a piece of the pie.
It is my understanding that they have no problem with it at all. I base this on the fact that I do have a small app there, where they know for sure I get customers outside their walled garden, and they are fine with that.

And also that I recently read an article that highlights a principle that is important for them: If you get the customer from inside the walled garden, you must use their payment system. And if you get the customer from outside their walled garden, you are absolutely not allowed to use their payment system.

YMMV

Upvote 0

karld

Licensed User
Longtime User
It is my understanding that they have no problem with it at all. I base this on the fact that I do have a small app there, where they know for sure I get customers outside their walled garden, and they are fine with that.

And also that I recently read an article that highlights a principle that is important for them: If you get the customer from inside the walled garden, you must use their payment system. And if you get the customer from outside their walled garden, you are absolutely not allowed to use their payment system.

YMMV

Interesting. I have no problem issuing an invoice. And I have no doubt I would get paid. If I could do it outside of of their system, that would be GRAND.

Upvote 0

karld

Licensed User
Longtime User
I actually have a call into Apple about all this. I am waiting on a callback. Seems I have confused them a bit.:)

Upvote 0