Excluded Devices

MarcTG

Licensed User
Longtime User
After publishing my 1st app on Google play, I started getting crashes that I had not seen while developing my app. I had tested my apps on more than 10 devices (phones and tablets), but as you guys know, it is impossible to account for all the devices out there especially ones that cannot commonly be found locally. The worst thing about all this was that crashes seemed to be accompanied with 1 star reviews... I am using libgdx to make lwps, and that type of lwps seem to have issues with some of the "cheap"/ low-range phones. After 100k+ downloads, my blacklist includes:
- All Samsung Galaxy Y devices (including Samsung Young); these are the worst - they seem to be very common and account for 50%+ of crashes I get.
- All Samsung Galaxy Mini devices
- All Samsung Galaxy Ace devices
- LG Pecan & PecanV
- Xperia arc S

I am always looking to add more to this list to avoid unnecessary 1 star reviews, do you guys have similar lists to share? :)

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I state that I never published.

Have perhaps those devices the same version of the operating system?

I think I would make the app send me a log.

100k downloads? Can I ask you when you have published the app?
I see that you are a member since April, I did not think you could get that number of downloads in a few months. Good news :).

Finally, in the Italian forum I read about our friends who receive 1 star although their app should not be in a crash. There are probably people who are dedicated to this.

Last edited:

MarcTG

Licensed User
Longtime User

Have perhaps those devices the same version of the operating system?

I think I would make the app send me a log.

Most crashes as you can see below occur on Android 2.3.x with a certain devices (others are galaxy Y variants)

100k downloads? Can I ask you when you have published the app?
I see that you are a member since April, I did not think you could get that number of downloads in a few months. Good news :).

Finally, in the Italian forum I read about our friends who receive 1 star although their app should not be in a crash. There are probably people who are dedicated to this.

I published several lwps using similar code but different graphics (100k is a total). The 1st app was published on June 1 - World Cup theme, which is why I got that many downloads in a short time...
As far as 1 star reviews, I am not saying that I only got them because of this, some people don't like an app and give it a 1 star. I've also had people give me a 1 star and write "very nice app" or something like that. I've also received many emails from app review services that offered reviews for a price, now did those guys give me a 1 star to encourage me to buy their services, maybe, who knows :)

10-20-2014 12-30-26 AM.png

MarcTG

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is a good service: so you have no need that customers send you any log and probably Informatix can understand the problem.
No need, I would not waste time trying to fix a problem that occurs with a certain device of no importance. As far as I am concerned, the error is because of how crappy those devices are and I would rather just exclude than bother Fred with trying to find the reason...

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
No need, I would not waste time trying to fix a problem that occurs with a certain device of no importance. As far as I am concerned, the error is because of how crappy those devices are and I would rather just exclude than bother Fred with trying to find the reason...
I agree 100%. On its devices, Samsung adds a UI layer over the OS and changes some parts of the OS. This introduces annoying bugs and incompatibilities (some issues are well known: SoundPool on Samsung S2, EditText with suggestions on all Samsung devices...). I have a S4 and I really wonder what's the added value of all these OS changes. When you're used to standard Android devices, you're just lost when you want to change a setting (and some of them are voluntarily hidden). I won't hesitate to ban all Samsung devices showing an issue when my next app will be out. There are enough problems with Android bugs and my own bugs. Adding Samsung bugs to that is too much for me. I will surely have less 1-stars of people angry because their device is not supported than 1-stars because the device crashes or shows severe issues with the app.

D

Deleted member 103

I agree 100%. On its devices, Samsung adds a UI layer over the OS and changes some parts of the OS. This introduces annoying bugs and incompatibilities (some issues are well known: SoundPool on Samsung S2, EditText with suggestions on all Samsung devices...). I have a S4 and I really wonder what's the added value of all these OS changes. When you're used to standard Android devices, you're just lost when you want to change a setting (and some of them are voluntarily hidden). I won't hesitate to ban all Samsung devices showing an issue when my next app will be out. There are enough problems with Android bugs and my own bugs. Adding Samsung bugs to that is too much for me. I will surely have less 1-stars of people angry because their device is not supported than 1-stars because the device crashes or shows severe issues with the app.
You're right.
You should really shut out all Samsung.
The problem would be but that will then give very less download.:(

MarcTG

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've tested a lot of Samsung devices and I own many of their phones and tablets. There is definitely a huge difference between the low end devices and the high end ones.
What is surprising to me though is that there is also a significant performance difference between different high end devices of the same generation.
In the U.S, Samsung smartphones run on snapdragon processors (4g LTE needs) while wifi only Samsung tablets all run on Samsung's own Exynos processors... The difference I see between using devices containing those different processors is noticeable. Devices with snapdragon processors are much smoother and even charge much faster.