iOS Question Experiences re-coding a B4A app to B4i

WAZUMBi

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am considering delving into B4i and want to start re-coding several of my B4A apps to B4i.
For me, as I am sure it is for most of us, my time is limited and spending weeks rewriting each of my apps from scratch just doesn't seem like it would be worth the effort. In which case I will continue to focus my efforts on Android.

My questions are for those of you who have already done or attempted to do this.

What has your experience been?
How would you rate the difficulty?
How much time has it taken you to do a complete typical conversion?
Is attempting to re-code an existing B4A app worth the effort or should one start from scratch?
Have you seen any benefits of publishing on the Apple App Store?

wineos

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is also what I concern. :p

I also have an Android app in Google Play Store. As B4i has been released, I want to create a similar iOS app and put it in Apple App Store.

Look forward to receive the sharings from you, all experienced users. Thanks a lot! :)

Upvote 0

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm coding my new app for iOS. I can say it's not too easy because there're many new things. However, the main logic/code can be reused. If it took 2 weeks to finish my Android app so it will be only 1 week to port it to iOS, of cause after you know how iOS works.
Just my sharing :D

Upvote 0

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
How would you rate the difficulty?
Not easy at the beginning, the most time was spent to learn how iOS works.
Then it becomes easy.

How much time has it taken you to do a complete typical conversion?
I haven't measured the time.

Is attempting to re-code an existing B4A app worth the effort or should one start from scratch?
I started from scratch do define the user interface then copied the 'common' or 'similar' code from the B4A project into the B4i project.
I find it easier to first develop a skeleton and then add things rather than trying to modify an existing project.

Have you seen any benefits of publishing on the Apple App Store?
I have no apps in Play store nor in App strore.

Upvote 0

wineos

Licensed User
Longtime User
My main problem on re-coding B4A to B4i is that I am new in iOS. I have spent a month in studying Objective-C before, but just understood only the basics.

Through the forums here I understand there has many differences between Android and iOS, and these will make difficulties in re-coding B4A projects to B4i projects. I hope I can learn fast. :)

Upvote 0

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
How difficult it is, is a matter of perspective. If you haven't learnt the basics of developing a B4i app, it will seem impossible, so don't just jump in a try to port the whole thing at once. Take it in steps (as you should have done when you developed the original app) which should be easier now you fully understand how your app works.

The process will be different depending on what type of app you are porting but I would start by developing a Gui for the main screen so you can see it working as you'd expect, then add the non Gui functionality (which should be at least 90% cut and paste). Then do the same for the remaining screens or views.

Like anything else, the more you do it, the easier it will become.

Last edited:
Upvote 0