Android Question FINDING A MISSING LIBARY ITEM

Intelemarketing

Licensed User
Longtime User
In all my experience with B4X, my biggest problem has been to find missing Library Members in some of the sample apps. The latest is a simple thing called "ByteConverter" - can't find it. Normally I troll through all the postings relating to the missing Library Member until I find it. Is there a simple definitive way to find the missing Library References easily ? I am just opening up B4J and am find that to be missing more Library members than my little mind can consume in one hit.

Appreciate your advice - I am hoping it is so simple but I have just missed it along the way

RJB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Probably one of the easier ones to find - built in library 'ByteConverter' !!
But it is difficult to know with some of the more obscure functionality.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

RJB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry, my mistake - I see from your link that it's been around for nearly ten years so perhaps it should be internal?

Upvote 0

RJB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Because it's so useful and regularly used. It seems to be part of rRandomAccessFile in B4R. That seems to be an internal library, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Such important elements should perhaps be included, updated and maintained as part of the core product? (Though as far as I know it is well supported in this case).
Some libraries are no longer supported by the authors.

Upvote 0

Midimaster

Licensed User
and now another stupid question from me....

I playing around for the first time with a multiplatform B4XPage-project. I try to find all libraries which i used in B4A. And the ByteConverter is missing in B4J. I can find a documentation about B4J-Byteconverter...
https://www.b4x.com/b4j/help/byteconverter.html

..., but no download adress. Does anybody know, where i can find it? Why is there no link in the documentation?

It looks like the ByteConverter-Library is "stand alone" in B4A, part of the RandomAcess-Library in B4R and B4i. And hard to find in B4J. This is not really helpful, when you really are willing to give coding for cross-platform projects a chance.

Upvote 0

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
and now another stupid question from me....

I playing around for the first time with a multiplatform B4XPage-project. I try to find all libraries which i used in B4A. And the ByteConverter is missing in B4J. I can find a documentation about B4J-Byteconverter...
https://www.b4x.com/b4j/help/byteconverter.html

..., but no download adress. Does anybody know, where i can find it? Why is there no link in the documentation?

It looks like the ByteConverter-Library is "stand alone" in B4A, part of the RandomAcess-Library in B4R and B4i. And hard to find in B4J. This is not really helpful, when you really are willing to give coding for cross-platform projects a chance.
I think it is the same one as the B4A lib: you can use it in both a B4A project and B4J project (B4A and B4J can sometimes share a lib): this would be the link https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/byteconverter-library.6787/

Upvote 0

Intelemarketing

Licensed User
Longtime User
Not sure if this is a good idea or not. I can see that to build up your "personal" Library of functions for A, X, J and I can possibly take years. It becomes a very valuable investment into B4X. Would it be a good idea to have a central repository of Library Functions ( for A, X, J and I) , which could be downloaded by new comers to B4X ?
It is honestly a big task to go and find missing members on a regular basis. I sometimes get so excited because I have found a code snippet which I consider of value, then simply give up on it as there is too much effort to find the additional items needed to make it work.
I can't remember having this problem in VB6 as I think the References and Components were distributed with the VB6 Program Installation (But then, I made a decision way back in 1997 NOT to use 3rd Party Controls - A) You had to Buy Them B) You never knew if they would be supported in the future).

Upvote 0

Intelemarketing

Licensed User
Longtime User
Found this just now - Definitely in the right direction - but still not the definitive Library Repository (I'll hunt through here in future)

Upvote 0

Intelemarketing

Licensed User
Longtime User
ABMaterial Library Item - I am finding it impossible to find this - I have only spent about 1 hour trying to work with this - I am looking for a ghost it seems to me - I find this so frustrating. I am trying to work with B4J, hopefully in a Web Context, but keep hitting my empty head on the Library Missing brick wall - there has to be a better way ?? (Am I the only idiot with this problem ? )

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Apologies Don ... I am not seeing the ABMaterials Library - I must be blind. Would you be kind enough to attach the library to a post -
Again. It is the SECOND Searchresult!

Note that it is Chargeable and no download is available. You get the lib after donating.

Upvote 0