Found OpenXava for Web Applications

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
at my search for "the Holy Grail" in developing software.

i found a interesting tool for creating web applications.
it use eclipse + java + a web server.
i am not a web developer but for me the demo web apps look impressive and seem useful for business applications.
https://www.openxava.org/

i found also these days "Xojo".
my evaluation it is more for small hobby projects and quite expensive.
looks like a basic language.
https://xojo.com/

SayCheese

Licensed User
at my search for "the Holy Grail" in developing software.
I know the feeling.
It's hard to tell how usable it is. I've seen many. Demos are often as far the framework permits. Beyond that it's never easy and you might be better off doing it the hard way. That said: It's worth the try. Especially when you are a Java developer.

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
about openxava, this invoice app demo is really made in some rows of code.
but u need special knowledge to do this from scratch.
the database was also special. (for some reasons the example at my pc can't save data)
in the end i waste much time because something did not work as expected or lack of experience.
it get unusable if u can't solve simple project requirements.
if me use web hosting i must also focus on provided requirements.

about xojo, the examples/tutorials are split in desktop and web, unfinished and documentation is fragmented. but xojo is fun in use.

Last edited:

SayCheese

Licensed User
Your time is never completely wasted. Now you know what to expect from these kind of tools or this tool in particular.
Many are capable generating some screens with default edit capabilities based on a few tables/database.
Someway or the other, you are always doing concessions.

josejad

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Markus, just curiosity.
Have you yet tried ABM Material?
I know I will test it sooner or later, before testing any other solution.

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
Markus, just curiosity.
Have you yet tried ABM Material?
I know I will test it sooner or later, before testing any other solution.
yes - it was full of pitfalls to start with.
try it maybe you have more luck.

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Since a few years I see lots of "new and 'this is it now'" sw platforms. I wonder because since EVER it's all about views, api's, etc. Nothing new and still the same. I stay with B4x (coming from .net) with which I can do ALL of the stuff ever needed. For websites I use more "settled" and proved sw like Apache, php/html and MySql (or similar). I'm working for a big insurance company and there we go with all that new stuff (which costs a lot even if it's "free" but you have to develop everything new. So we will stay 20 more years with a huge mainframe though since 30 years everyone wants to replace it.).

Right now there's nothing revolutionary like in the 9ies (where every month we had a new thing) so it's more like some kind of fashion. E.g. Windows 10 (which I like - never had problems with it). Same thing as Windows 95 but nicer. Same Office since 20 years - only nicer and faster due to new hw. Some years ago a friend asked me to set up an old pc for her mother. I was in doubt because it had a sticker with "optimized for WIN95" on it :D But guess what. It started like a charm under a minute. Excel & Word started in 1-3 seconds.

So a user doesn't care which sw you develop with. Must be fast and reliable. Nothing new since the early days.

SayCheese

Licensed User
@KMatie, well, needless to say that computers are still working with bits and bytes. No Qubits involved (yet). So yes, nothing new except for the fact people are trying to evolve and that is a good thing.

Last edited:

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
We used to program in the past with Xojo, but have abandoned it because the IDE and language contained to many persistent bugs it wasn't suitable for production apps. Luckily, we then discovered B4X which doesn't suffer from this and is also a lot more up-to-date with current developments in the crossplatform world and we have never looked back. :)

yes - it was full of pitfalls to start with.
Can you elaborate? We successfully use the ABM library within our company (actually, all our Xojo apps are converted to B4X using this lib and BANano, my other web framework). Many other B4X users have done so too. B4J is an excellent alternative for php. I admit the learning curve of ABM is rather steep, but it definitely is production ready.

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
In that case check out LiveCode (https://livecode.com/) it has much more to offer across all platforms for free. And the language is also very elaborate or verbos.
Do check it.
thanks for the link but i not like paying per month/year every time.

spiderbasic is not oop and i believe it can't access mysql.

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
We used to program in the past with Xojo, but have abandoned it because the IDE and language contained to many persistent bugs it wasn't suitable for production apps. Luckily, we then discovered B4X which doesn't suffer from this and is also a lot more up-to-date with current developments in the crossplatform world and we have never looked back. :)

Can you elaborate? We successfully use the ABM library within our company (actually, all our Xojo apps are converted to B4X using this lib and BANano, my other web framework). Many other B4X users have done so too. B4J is an excellent alternative for php. I admit the learning curve of ABM is rather steep, but it definitely is production ready.

hello alwaysbusy,
i remember after the first start i saw only a progress indicator in the browser window.
after i solved it i starting with the tutorials but a simple page did not open and run into errors.
my purpose was to use my raspberry pi with ssl and mysql database at home for a test application.
my development maschine is windows 10.

i noticed some people of the Xojo support close tickets before they solve it.

SayCheese

Licensed User
thanks for the link but i not like paying per month/year every time.

spiderbasic is not oop and i believe it can't access mysql.

All companies are selling subscriptions these days. It can be a nice solution if the price is right. There should always be a free edition to know what you are buying. Paying $2500,00 /year for the business solution and a lot investment to learn the new program/language makes it very hard to get exited.

Kiffi

Licensed User
Longtime User

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
All companies are selling subscriptions these days. It can be a nice solution if the price is right. There should always be a free edition to know what you are buying. Paying $2500,00 /year for the business solution and a lot investment to learn the new program/language makes it very hard to get exited.

i not like subscriptions for some reasons but i am willing to pay for a product once or for updates.
i can better control my expenses without subscriptions for anything.

Kiffi

Licensed User
Longtime User
A little feedback: I just installed and started LiveCode. After a 10 minute short test I have to say that I don't like it. I have rarely seen such an unintuitive development environment. Many actions don't work right away, but only after you have closed and reopened the corresponding windows/dialogues. One notices very fast that the IDE was originally written for the Apple operating system and was adapted only makeshift to Windows. As written: Personally I don't like it and won't use it.

Greetings ... Peter

Addendum: Even uninstalling LiveCode does not work. o_O