Free Oracle Cloud VPS (4 Cores 24GB RAM)

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Anyone has tried this?
I just saw the YouTube video and tried to sign up (Credit card verification required).
When I tried to create a Compute Instance, it gives me an error:
Out of capacity for shape VM.Standard.A1.Flex in availability domain VmEx:AP-SINGAPORE-1-AD-1. If you specified a fault domain, try creating the instance without specifying a fault domain. If that doesn’t work, please try again later. Learn more about host capacity.

I chat with the Live Chat and she asked me to wait a few days and try again. If anyone is interested, can try and see whether you success or not. I think we can use the VPS to host B4J server app (for free!).

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
Anyone has tried this?
I once saw a person posting: if you believe that oracle is going to give something for free, you still have much to learn.

The actual vps could be free, but they charge for every byte in and out and some other stuff. (That's what I believe)

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Also note that you may need a license for JAVA if you Rely on Oracles JAVA.
They can compare your VPS-Holder to any license-owner for Java. Also they can force you do buy a license if you are using their Java for your Company.

Just my 2-Cent ;-)

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think the bottom line is: ”If Oracle is offering you something, try to back away as quickly as you can.”

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think the bottom line is: ”If Oracle is offering you something, try to back away as quickly as you can.”
The best product from Oracle I like is VirtualBox which is free for personal use. For the VPS, they offer Oracle Linux, CentOS and Ubuntu. At least they don’t force user to use Oracle Linux.

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Are you saying that you need to provide your credit card details to activate the free plan?
I'd say that's a fairly common solution. It's a way to be (somewhat) sure who actually is registering, and once they pass some limit it's easy to start sucking monies out of the card.

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
The best product from Oracle I like is VirtualBox which is free for personal use. For the VPS, they offer Oracle Linux, CentOS and Ubuntu. At least they don’t force user to use Oracle Linux.

I like the idea of free but I cannot believe it. With virtualbox you supply the resources to the program (that is power from the power line). Why would they pay for the power of the instances as well as the cooling of the servers as well as of the stuff maintaining all these just so you can play?

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I guess we are not thinking as enterprise sales or marketing person. It is similar to the question why make B4A free. Competition.
How some open source software companies make money? Paid professional support and premium features. Like Jaspersoft.
Oracle does offer Windows as image or customize the VM according to users request and this requires an upgrade.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have used some free hosting provided by some smaller companies like 000webhost, free asp hosting and pythonanywhere. So why not bigger companies can’t offer some free starter packages as their marketing tools?

Jones Hone

Licensed User
Longtime User
I also applied for an account on 2021/07/28,
Also created an ubuntu VM,
Also installed the WEP APP of B4J (using OPENJDK)
Can also be used.
but,
Suddenly the VM was stopped on 2021/10/25 and could not be started again,
Then on 2021/11/01, it was found that the VM was missing,
So I re-created a VM, reinstalled B4J WEB APP,
However, the web app has been unable to connect from the outside,
and it still cannot be connected to now!
I still don’t know why

ps.
It also appears when you want to create a VM at the beginning:
Out of capacity for shape VM.Standard.A1.Flex in availability domain AxtR:AP-TOKYO-1-AD-1. Please try again later.
Try again in a few days and it will succeed!

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
However, the web app has been unable to connect from the outside,
and it still cannot be connected to now!
I still don’t know why
I guess there is something to set in the network setting. As explained in the video at my first post. Or maybe we can try install the firewall for Ubuntu and allow access to outside network.

Jones Hone

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have open firewall port 80 on first VM,
But my approach for the second VM is the same as that of the first VM.
But it can't connect.