Android Question GetMyWifiIP returns local device's IP

DickD

Licensed User
I'm trying to find the ip address of the wifi router my phone is currently connected to. I have tried the code below. It always returns the address of the phone I'm using now and not the router.

B4X:
Sub Process_Globals
 Dim Server As ServerSocket
 Dim router As String
End Sub

Sub Activity_Create(FirstTime As Boolean)
 Log("In FindWIFIusers")
 'Server.Initialize("5100","Server")
 router = Server.GetMyWifiIP
 Server.close
 Log("Router = " & router)
 Activity.Finish
End Sub

sz4t4n

Licensed User
Longtime User
in most cases router IP is the same as the phone IP but the last value is 1 ex. 192.168.1.1. So just get your phone wifi IP and change the last value to 1.

Upvote 0

DickD

Licensed User
in most cases router IP is the same as the phone IP but the last value is 1 ex. 192.168.1.1. So just get your phone wifi IP and change the last value to 1.
Yes, I considered that as a possibility but I'm worried about ... "in most cases". Isn't there something more dependable?

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can use this code:
B4X:
Sub GetGatewayIp As String
   Dim ctxt As JavaObject
   ctxt.InitializeContext
   Dim WifiManager As JavaObject = ctxt.RunMethod("getSystemService", Array(ctxt.GetField("WIFI_SERVICE")))
   Dim dhcp As JavaObject = WifiManager.RunMethod("getDhcpInfo", Null)
   Dim formatter As JavaObject
   Return formatter.InitializeStatic("android.text.format.Formatter").RunMethod("formatIpAddress", Array(dhcp.GetField("gateway")))
End Sub
Based on this answer: https://stackoverflow.com/questions...ip-address-of-the-router-from-code-in-android

You need to add these permissions:
B4X:
AddPermission(android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE)
AddPermission(android.permission.CHANGE_WIFI_STATE)

Make sure to test it when there is no connection (I haven't tested it). Also note that it only works with IPv4 addresses.

Upvote 0
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…