Android Question Getting started with BrainBox BL819 device (BLuetooth)

dara hayes

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello.
I have been struggling to get Bluetooth to work between my Android Asus ME173X device as it doesn't seem to allow inbound connections for some security reason , have been so far unable to work round this and my PC and so now I have purchased some dedicated BLuetooth Serial port devices , the ones I intend to use on my embedded system to replace the windows PC and serial connection , I have tried some of the B4A Bluetooth examples but they don't work as soon as I send data from the Brain-box device the link brakes , it doesn't work in the other direction but the link appears to stay on , It is perhaps because think the brain box device is not using ASync data streams , could some one please give some basic pointers as to how I can establish a simple SPP chat between my android device and the Brain-box BL819 device.
thanks , also how is it possible to send a known PIN at connection establishment , without having to ask the android user for a pin number to establish the link with the Brain box device which defaults to a pin of 1234 . thanks Dara

dara hayes

Licensed User
Longtime User
Make sure that AsyncStreams is not initialized in prefix mode. Prefix mode can only be used if both sides of the connection adhere to the "prefix" protocol.
I have set the code as follows .... FALSE inside the Initialized routine

If AStream.IsInitialized = False Then
AStream.InitializePrefix(Main.serial1.InputStream, False, Main.serial1.OutputStream, "AStream")
End If
I am connecting to my ASUS by USB cable and in the logs I see the correct mac address of the BrainBoxes Bluetooth device and It also says
connected:true the android program goes to Chat screen with text entry and send button , but no data transfers by keypad entry either from a phyiscal com port connected on a PC or into or out of the android device ,
I think I need to go back to basic SPP , I have not managed to get a single byte to transfer so far , confused , I have tried the serial example but it keeps giving me a bluetooth admin error , not sure how to get round any of these probelms ,

Upvote 0

dara hayes

Licensed User
Longtime User
apologies Erel I set it to use AStream.Initialize without Prefix mode just using input and output streams as below ....

AStream.Initialize(Main.serial1.InputStream,Main.serial1.InputStream,"AStream") but it still wont send data despite saying its connected to the
correct address of the device I want to communicate with, nothing on comport at other end
dara

Upvote 0

dara hayes

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel
the code I am actually using is
AStream.Initialize(Main.serial1.InputStream,Main.serial1.OutputStream, "AStream")
typo on top posting ,
dara

Upvote 0

dara hayes

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry the code I am using is the code below

AStream.Initialize(Main.serial1.InputStream,Main.serial1.OutputStream, "AStream")

and the PC com port now sends ok a char at a time is received on the Android device , but android wont send to pc com port , is the Write function still ok ,its not writing in prefix mode so assume its ok to send this way or do i have to modify send code when not in prefix mode , I am now half way to communicating with Brainbox and Asus devices !

Upvote 0

dara hayes

Licensed User
Longtime User
No Erel unfortunately I have added a chr(10) and Chr(13) to my text inputs from the android device, but to no avail still only receives one char at a time on Android
nothing back to pc but now I have more serious issues raised in separate thread regarding the PATH of javac.exe and Android.jar raised 10th Dara

Upvote 0