Good ways to promote an app?

trueboss323

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello , I am looking for ways to make my app more recognized and get more downloads. What do you guys recommend for promoting an app for example, advertising, reviews, videos? I'd be willing to spend some money for it. Possibly even getting it on the top charts. Please share based on your own personal experience.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
* start an adwords campaign. you will get lots of downloads for a small price. it worked for me.
* promote your app on social media like facebook, google+, tweeter,... (for free)
* make sure your app presentation on google play is ok
* make your app + google play description in multi language!
* you could try fiverr.com (https://www.fiverr.com/search/gigs?utf8=✓&search_in=everywhere&source=guest_hp_search&locale=en&query=app promotion&page=1&filter=rating)
i need to mention that i had no good experience with fiverr.com promotion deals.

good luck :)

trueboss323

Licensed User
Longtime User
Very interesting suggestions thank you! I've been actually thinking of giving the adwords a try, what's your experience on that? Do you know where I can find a tutorial of that for getting the best impressions? Specially for B4A apps if possible. And what are some pages on Facebook/Twitter you recommend that I could pitch people about my app?

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi

I dont know what kind of app u would like to promote but adwards will make your android app very visible in the market. BTW its only for android apps. You can go to your dev console and pick an app and click on User Acquisition and the adwards campaing.

Then you can choose where u would like to have downloads, what android version,...

If u want lots of downloads choose all world and then u can set a very low click charge like 0.1$ and set a daily budget. 5-10$. that should be ok for the start to get a nice result. BUT before u do it i recommend to set your store presentation correct (multi language, nice HD screenshots, a short video is also recommended)
because you pay per click and to get someone install you app it should be interesting enough so make sure you have a nice icon, screenshots,...

like they say: you won't get a second chance to make a good first impression

and what i can say is that i had good experience with adwards so it is worth a try.

About facebook/twitter. You could join some programmers groups where everybody there share his app but you also should open a page only for your apps and always update the content there like new versions are out or new apps. What i also do is i make in my facebook page every 1-2 weeks a lottery to win a free coupon for 1 of my app. every one who like/share the post i create can take part on this lottery and people do it. i create a program in b4j that picks up randomly a user. you can have a look

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011525702168

(example in youtube, but the video was uploaded to my facebook page where it has much more views)

Good luck :)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@LucaMs i think a lot managed to make that amount but even if they didnot it is worth to invest a little money on your app after spending several weeks/months of creating it. You never know what success u may get. I think that if your app didnot get any attention in the first 3 month then it probably wont get later any attention either. So instead of let it lay like this in google play invest up to 100$ on it in adwards and maybe it will be very worth so the worst that can happen is you lose 100$ and thats not that much.

I would recommend @Informatix doing that for his dictator game. I think it is a very nice puzzle game and adwards can get him lots of downloads but before he starts a campaign he NEED to change that icon. Its not very "click me" icon. But the game it self got a lot potential.

Maybe he will read this post and think about it. :)

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm sure that advertising is useful (you can read many my posts about this, in which I mentioned a famous drink :D)
but I fear that very often the apps will not be even able to recoup advertising costs (not to mention the time spent to develop them).

Anyway... good luck to all members' apps (also to mine, if one day it will be "born" :D)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
but I fear that very often the apps will not be even able to recoup advertising costs (not to mention the time spent to develop

This is not even a risk if you create apps in your free time and invest few $ on advertising. Companies spent milions on advertising before getting any result. Dont forget that a dev dont invest lot of money in his work he invest almost only time on it. Not like people that open a store, buy goods,... without to have any insurance that they will success. So for me is developing the best business a person with no money can try.

I am not saying quite your job and become a programer. Try to do it simultaneously.

Its the cheapest risk you can take today.

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
I only have the experience of one game published, but I can tell what I've done and the results I've had.
Before starting promotion:
The app/game has to be good. If you make a lot of promotion over a poor app you'll get a lot of uninstalls and bad reviews.
Make a good icon and a good landing page, with good screenshots. People is more likely to download something if it's eye catching. If have a bad icon, you can do a campaign and show 100K impressions of your app, but the conversion rate will be very low.
You'll have to do a little ASO, finding the right kewords and make a good description using those words, also translating is good...
Now promote it.
You have free methods, like social advertisement (facebook...), send your game to some websites, youtubers... and you can do some review exchange with other developers (reviewsmotion is good for that). Try to publish your app/game in other stores, I tried opera store and I got a lot of downloads in the first month (about 30 a day, while in google play it was way less downloads), after first month downloads become sporadic in opera.
And then you have paid methods. I tried appbrain for my first campaign, and liked it because it's a cost per install campaign. Wich means that you pay only every time your game is installed. You can target countries and change the bid (the cost of each install). If your bid is too low for the countries you're targeting, the downloads will be very very slow because you'll have very few impressions. ie: If you target USA you'll have to pay more money per install than if you target India...
Then you have incentivized installs. I've tried ayetstudios, and app2top is also very popular. App2top are bots, no real users, that's why I haven't tried it. Ayet is based in a rewarding method. There is an app (cashpirate) in wich users are rewarded every time they download an app (they ge a little $) So be aware that they will download your app because of the reward, not because they like it. So you'll have a lot of installs followed by almost the same number of uninstalls (some users may like it and keep installed if the app/game is good, but not many)
This method is cheaper, and it's used basically to get more downloads and to get higher in charts. It's better to do this in the first month, because your app can be charted in top new apps-games category in some country, wich will give you more organic (natural) installs.
In my case I was getting about 50 installs a day, and after a 50$ high retention campaign (users have to keep app installed for 3 days) I doubled it.
I must say that I made another campaign 2 weeks later with almost no visible results. I think it's more effective if you target only one country (don't do do worldwide campaigns) and get a lot of downloads in one day, because this way you have more chances to be featured in any chart this way.
And that's what I did. Now let me tell what happened next:
I stopped any promotion after the first month because I didn't see great results and was feeling like I was wasting my money (I spent about $200 in promotion) and let the game grow organically. Slowly I was getting more and more users, but poor numbers in a so populated market. And without doing anything, about 2 weeks ago I don't know what happened but my game "exploded". I mean, suddenly the installs started to grow and grow and now I'm getting about 3000 - 5000 installs a day. With these numbers I've allready recovered my investment and soon will cross the 50K installs line.
I really don't know what's going on and and if it will last, but now I'm crossing my fingers and have stopped the development of any other game to focus in updates and upgrades for my game to try to keep this going...
Maybe if I hadn't done the promotion now this wouldn't be happening, who knows... there are millions af apps and google is constantly changing things, so all of this is a bit unpredictable.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In my case I was getting about 50 installs a day,
And without doing anything, about 2 weeks ago I don't know what happened but my game "exploded". I mean, suddenly the installs started to grow and grow and now I'm getting about 3000 - 5000 installs a day.
I can think only to two possibilities:

a) your app has appeared on the Facebook page of a person who has millions of followers
b) Google has some "strange" automatism which, having a bug, hit the wrong target, your app.

about 2 weeks ago
Keep us informed :)

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@melonZgz ,

I think the game genre helped a lot aswell.

Those who got bored from Angry Birds might look for similar alternatives. If someone likes it and spread the word under his friend it might go fast(er).

Or someone reviewed it with a mass of followers like @LucaMs mentioned.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Those who got bored from Angry Birds might look for similar alternatives. If someone likes it and spread the word under his friend it might go fast(er).
Ok, this thread is about "how to promote" (and how to get many downloads); anyway, you can get many daily downloads, your app can have X installs but you could earn less than another app with the same number of installs (see link in #11).

I start to think that it is more difficult to exploit successfully economically well your app rather than developing it, however complex it may be :mad::)