Android Question Google Play Auto-Renewable Subscriptions - App & User Management Question.

73Challenger

Licensed User
Auto-Renewable Google Play Subscriptions: Not looking for code here, just a high level overview.....design "best practice".

All comments appreciated!

How are others designing user and subscription management for renewable subscriptions?
On device? Hosted DB? (cloud). Require user to login on app?

App will have a simple monthly subscription, user base less than 1000 so I'm looking for simple to build and maintain with reasonable security....if possible.

****Thanks to @aeric and his excellent In-App Billing demo I've already got subscription communication with Google Play up and running.

asales

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
To me:
- only on device.
- don't had login in app; I only check the purchases and subscriptions when the app starts.

- tip: put the information about the auto-renew in the screen with information about the subscription and check this link:
I got a reject when I update an app with subscription because it don't had this information.

Upvote 0

73Challenger

Licensed User
To me:
- only on device.
- don't had login in app; I only check the purchases and subscriptions when the app starts.

- tip: put the information about the auto-renew in the screen with information about the subscription and check this link:
I got a reject when I update an app with subscription because it don't had this information.

***Apologies in advance, there is much I don't know....and I appreciate your help GREATLY!!!"

- only on device -
What do you store on the device?
When the purchaser buys the subscription, does Google Play return a unique "identity token" that I must store?
Or does Google Play automatically identify the phone and user?

Upvote 0

asales

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
***Apologies in advance, there is much I don't know....and I appreciate your help GREATLY!!!"

- only on device -
What do you store on the device?
- I check and store the information that the subscription is active.
With this information I enable or don't some new features in the app.
When the purchaser buys the subscription, does Google Play return a unique "identity token" that I must store?
Or does Google Play automatically identify the phone and user?
- I don't use the identity token, but it depends of what you want to do.
Maybe you need to identify the user outside the store, etc.

My advice is start with basic subscription, check what you need and adapt the code and informations to meet your requirements later.

Upvote 0

73Challenger

Licensed User
- I check and store the information that the subscription is active.
With this information I enable or don't some new features in the app.

- I don't use the identity token, but it depends of what you want to do.
Maybe you need to identify the user outside the store, etc.

My advice is start with basic subscription, check what you need and adapt the code and informations to meet your requirements later.
This is why I love the B4X environment, thank you for your help!!! You have just saved me a lot of time with this conversation!

Upvote 0

73Challenger

Licensed User
@asales I will take your advice and make my first subscription a basic one. Simple, 30 day, on device, no in-app purchases/upgrades.

Question please.... do you add any logic to prompt the user with information or to purchase a subscription in the app.
Example1 - if a users device is offline and cannot reach Google Billing do you display a message like "please connect device to a network."
Example2 - if a user has cancelled their subscription and the grace period has expired, do you prompt to purchase the subscription or just disable functionality.

This is more of a "user experience" question than a technical question.......I may be overthinking this..... šŸ¤”

@aeric appreciate any info you could add as well.....and from anyone with auto-renewing subscriptions and would like to offer some thoughts. Thank you!

Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@aeric appreciate any info you could add as well...
I am not aware of any post with my tags.

any logic to prompt the user with information or to purchase a subscription in the app
If you have tested the app, once you have made a subscription or purchase, you will get email with a bill.
When the subscription is about to expire, I think Google will send email to notify the user about the end of subscription.
You don't need to personally tell your users. However a friendly email reminder can also be done if you have their info but some users may not like to receive too much redundant email notifications.

Example 1,
I think subscription base is more suitable if you provide online services with continuous usage or download of products such as songs, videos, comics, articles or tutorials. So the app should connect to the Internet.

Example 2,
I would let the library handles the access.

I don't have any real app with subscription right now but the above are just my opinions.

Upvote 0

asales

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@asales I will take your advice and make my first subscription a basic one. Simple, 30 day, on device, no in-app purchases/upgrades.

Question please.... do you add any logic to prompt the user with information or to purchase a subscription in the app.
Do you registered your device in Google Play Console as "test device"?
You can made test purchases and see how it works. Google will sent an e-mail when you purchase a subscription, when the subscription was expirated time or cancelled.
Example1 - if a users device is offline and cannot reach Google Billing do you display a message like "please connect device to a network."
Yes. But you don't got information about values and others if the lib don't get connection to Google Play. You will see an error.
Example2 - if a user has cancelled their subscription and the grace period has expired, do you prompt to purchase the subscription or just disable functionality.
My free apps has Admob and some functions only works online (to show the ads).
With subscripton I remove the ads and offer offline functions, when possible.
When the subscription is expired or cancelled, it returns to the free mode.
This is more of a "user experience" question than a technical question.......I may be overthinking this..... šŸ¤”

@aeric appreciate any info you could add as well.....and from anyone with auto-renewing subscriptions and would like to offer some thoughts. Thank you!

Upvote 0

73Challenger

Licensed User
I am not aware of any post with my tags.

If you have tested the app, once you have made a subscription or purchase, you will get email with a bill.
When the subscription is about to expire, I think Google will send email to notify the user about the end of subscription.
You don't need to personally tell your users. However a friendly email reminder can also be done if you have their info but some users may not like to receive too much redundant email notifications.

Example 1,
I think subscription base is more suitable if you provide online services with continuous usage or download of products such as songs, videos, comics, articles or tutorials. So the app should connect to the Internet.

Example 2,
I would let the library handles the access.

I don't have any real app with subscription right now but the above are just my opinions.

Your Billing Demo (highly recommended) got me past the technical aspects. Now I'm into user interaction. I VERY MUCH appreciate the advice! Apologies for the random tag. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

73Challenger

Licensed User
You can made test purchases and see how it works. Google will sent an e-mail when you purchase a subscription, when the subscription was expirated time or cancelled.

Yes. But you don't got information about values and others if the lib don't get connection to Google Play. You will see an error.

My free apps has Admob and some functions only works online (to show the ads).
With subscripton I remove the ads and offer offline functions, when possible.
When the subscription is expired or cancelled, it returns to the free mode.

Thank you for the fast response, very helpful! I'll work through your answers in the next few days. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

asales

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think this can be helpfull:

Upvote 0