Google to cut support to all Huawei devices

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Following Trump's decision to interdict Huawei products selling in USA, Google is also cutting support to the Chinese company. This means no more Android Updates and more seriously, no more GPlay services, including the GPlayStore.
So, any user in the states, using a Huawei phone will no longer be able to neither install new software from GPStore nor update already installed ones!

Is Trump the new Hitler?
Only, rather than the "Ariane race" he enforced "Americana"?

The worldwide open market is not so open after all!

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Time to upgrade those Nexus phones then. :D

Is Trump the new Hitler?
You should really read history and inform yourself about who and what Hitler really did before calling Trump that, comments like this make you look silly.

Who is Ariane? I think you mean Aryan, again, do some research first.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
stupid move from Google without having any evidence of the claims that Trump is (ab)using to boycot chinese products.

he's only punishing his own people by making everything more expensive due to the extra import taxes.
the same goes for products exported from the US to china.

I wonder what will happen on the Huawei phone I have. will they remove Play aswell or lock us out by the next update?

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What I have understood is that if you already have, let's say gmail installed, you will continue receiving updates.

Lahksman

Licensed User
Longtime User
stupid move from Google without having any evidence of the claims that Trump is (ab)using to boycot chinese products.
Google is pretty much cornered here, the blacklist that is ordered by the American government implies that no American company may do business with Huawei without permission.

I wonder what will happen on the Huawei phone I have. will they remove Play aswell or lock us out by the next update?
Going upon the information I can find, the current phones (including the new P30) will still have and keep their Google related apps (Gplay, youtube, etc...).
Whether or not you will get Android updates is still unclear.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You should really read history and inform yourself about who and what Hitler really did before calling Trump that, comments like this make you look silly.
I know much more than you may think, about world history and European history in particular. I really don't think my comment to be that silly, even Hitler, before ordering is first major massacre, was a Hitler wannabe.
Who is Ariane? I think you mean Aryan, again, do some research first.
In my home Country, we use the word "Ariana", in French... "Ariane", so I apologize if I didn't use the exact wording... But you got the message I guess... The rest was/is syntax... (I hope I wrote it correctly)

I will not discuss this comment any longer, only the news/fact that lead me to write this post.

Last edited:

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Whether or not you will get Android updates is still unclear.
i heared (Radionews) that Huawai does not get any Android-Updates from Google directly. And they are not allowed to install Android on new Devices they are releasing.
Bad times starting for Huawai i guess...

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The major problem I foresee is that end user that buys a new Huawei, buys it for its specs... And expects Android to be default... Only AFTER purchase they will figure that they no longer have access to the apps they love... So they will "floc think" (don't know if the term is correct) and start to fear the same to other brands, like Samsung, and end up preferring Apple. In my (humble) opinion, we may see in a not so far future, Google e-migrating to Europe!

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As I understand it, Huawei (as any other player) would still be able to use the AOSP version of Android on their devices.
At the same time, not so far ago, they anticipated that they had in the works a proprietary OS (seen as a B plan). So when they will be ready they will switch to it along with potentially 1.4 billion users

As of today, existing devices will be allowed to run G-specifc sw (e.g. GMail, Maps, PlayStore..) and probabily update it as well (not sure about this point, though).
New devices will be AOSP-based but will neither sport any G. app nor should they have access to the Store.

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Is Trump the new Hitler?
1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
2) No, he just likes to shoot from the hip. What would you expect from the person that was part of The Apprentice.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populism. It's not just an American thing.

At the same time, not so far ago, they anticipated that they had in the works a proprietary OS (seen as a B plan). So when they will be ready they will switch to it along with potentially 1.4 billion users
That would be a really negative outcome for the US tech sector. A side effect of this trade war (that was shot from the hip).

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
... not so far ago, they anticipated that they had in the works a proprietary OS (seen as a B plan). So when they will be ready they will switch to it along with potentially 1.4 billion users
I wouldn't hold my breath on that, same was said about Firefox OS, and Tizen and....do you remember those? yeah, they dethroned Android and took over the world right?, maybe for a regional market but global? no chance.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm waiting for an Aliexpress App Store to rule the world ;)
It's already globaly used and they can afford only 10% cuts on sales instead of 30% (?) Google takes.
And the chinese can access it aswell so it's good for everyone.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I wouldn't hold my breath too, although I will be no much surprised if they would start with a Chinese-only OS.
An OS fully compliant with their laws and rules.

What about the rest of the world? Well, maybe it would have to choose between two main blocks: US or China.
Yes, it will be the end of the "global" Internet as it was originally dreamed of, but unfortunaltely politics is here to worsen our lives..

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Forget the Android licence. It's just a game. China is (and I don't really like that) extremly poweful. If they reclaim/sell their USA government bonds (or other nasty things) then see what happens next :D But that is just my opinion ;)

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
I saw on the news that they already created their own OS, of course, if this OS is not Android-apps compatible it may be hard for users to buy.

I personally think that Huawei should use Linux on their mobile phones. no politics on linux.

charlesg

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think Google's hands are tied. They don't want to fight one of the big three phone manufacturers. Interesting that Google will not blackilst Google Play. Reminds me of Cyanogenmod (back in the day) which was also open source Android with Google Play. The first thing you did after installation was download the Google bits that open Android was not allowed to include. I was then the customer and not the phone manufacturer.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Following Trump's decision to interdict Huawei products selling in USA, Google is also cutting support to the Chinese company. This means no more Android Updates and more seriously, no more GPlay services, including the GPlayStore.
So, any user in the states, using a Huawei phone will no longer be able to neither install new software from GPStore nor update already installed ones!

Is Trump the new Hitler?

The worldwide open market is not so open after all!
He didn't expect much to receive Huawei's response, which removed the friendship list from Google on Facebook and Twitter and threatens to remove it from Instagram contacts :p

Serious comment: probably the problem is Google. It has a dominant position to make a company go bankrupt by decreeing that it will not receive their licenses.

Last edited: