Android Question Help regarding android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE

Anser

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I received an email from Google saying that may app is using something that requires a Privacy Policy. So instead of creating the Privacy Policy, I thought that it would be better to avoid features that requires such dangerous permissions.

I am re-checking my app and would like to eliminate those dangerous permissions from my app.

Google reported that my app uses the following
android.permission.GET_ACCOUNTS
android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE

So after reviewing my project, I could successfully eliminate android.permission.GET_ACCOUNTS, unfortunately Google still says that my app uses android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE

While I upload my APK to GooglePlayStore it says the following warning

Warnings
Your APK is using permissions that require a privacy policy: (android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE)

I have commented out the following line on my Manifest Editor

B4X:
'Commented this on my Manifest
'AddPermission(android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE)

Earlier I was using SimCard Library, now I removed the reference of that Library too from my project

Unfortunately, when I upload the APK it still gives the warning.

Is there anyway that I can identify where/what in my app requires/utilizing this permission ?

I am using Google Maps in my app. Is that what that uses this permission ( android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE ) . For Google Maps, I have the following entry in the Manifest
B4X:
' The following lines are used for using Google Maps in our application
AddApplicationText(
<meta-data
  android:name="com.google.android.geo.API_KEY"
  android:value="AIz****dfdfdfdfdfflklfkdfkdfldkf"/>
)
AddPermission(android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE)
' End of lines required for Google Maps permissions

I am also using FCM. Is it FCM the culprit ? Or Google Maps ?

There is a facility in my app so that the user can make phone calls to my helpline number. For that I have used the following code. Could this be the reason ?
B4X:
Dim oPhone As PhoneCalls
StartActivity(oPhone.Call(cPhoneNumber))
If the above given Phone call is what requiring this permission, then is there any other alternative way to make a phone call without needing this permission

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks & Regards
Anser

Last edited:

Anser

Licensed User
Longtime User
I commented the following code that makes a phone call, unfortunately it still gives the warning.
B4X:
Dim oPhone As PhoneCalls
StartActivity(oPhone.Call(cPhoneNumber))

Upvote 0

Anser

Licensed User
Longtime User
Go to the logs tab and click on the List Permissions buttons. It will show you what is the source of each permission.
This is the Screen Snapshot of Permissions
Permissions.png

Google gives me warning only for android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE

Any idea, what could be the reason ?

Upvote 0