How advanced are your math skills?

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I never thought that creating videogames would require me so much to improve my math skills. I still struggle with a lot of concepts, since I was never a math wizzard. At the same time, having to remember what I've learned in high-school brings back a lot of good memories from those times.

If only I enjoyed math and physics back then as I do enjoy them now, life would have been so much different.

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm good at math but in my schooldays I asked myself "what is it good for? I will never use that stuff in my whole life". Now I know. I started to play arround with libgdx. Now I know what "this stuff" is good for :)

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm good at math but in my schooldays I asked myself "what is it good for? I will never use that stuff in my whole life". Now I know. I started to play arround with libgdx. Now I know what "this stuff" is good for :)
LibGDX indeed!! Hello trigonometry, hello collision detection, hello physics!! ;)

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
By the way... How did you create your sprites (Ninjas)? Tool? Little sister with excellent graphic skills?
The sprites for Project Ryu? I stole from Capcom. The sprites I'm using are from Street Fighter III - 3rd Strike.
By the way, I have excellent graphics skills! :cool::D I do not, however, have any drawing skills, nor does my sis... o_O

Last edited:

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Last edited:

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My Maths it OK, but when it get's down to vectors etc., the internet is my friend:) It's a long time since my maths at school. I did a course in Astro physics, but that was mainly Sin and Cos. Someone once told me it's not what you know, it's knowing where to find it! And I live by that to this day. And with the internet these days, it pretty easy.

The trick is , knowing what you're looking for.

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Since starting to write my own games, I've found trigonometry to be the most useful math skill. If you want to do anything more than 8 directional movement, you need trig. Other than that, just simple maths for adding things like gravity and smooth movement by using fractional speed changes is all I've really needed.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
didn't know there's more than 8-directional for 2D games ?

WAZUMBi

Licensed User
Longtime User
For the most part only a good knowledge of algebra and a basic understanding of geometry and trig is all I've ever needed.
But then again I only develop basic 2d games and apps.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I know, but 8 directional means 8 directions as left/right/up/down/ul/ur/dl/dr so the diagonal ones are not limited to 45° angles only. ;)

look at many 80s games, once you fall at certain velocity you have certain angled scrolling based on the x & y velocities.