Android Question How do I completely uninstall and reinstall B4A?

droid

Licensed User
Longtime User
After several fruitless attempts to get this program running, I have decided to start from the beginning. Apparently the original installation did not include the adb.exe file which is nowhere to be found. I have now deleted the AVD definition as well. When trying to reinstall from the latest upgrade email, I received messages indicating that previous files failed to be deleted. In other words, the whole thing is completely mangled. I do wish the beginning instructions were just a bit more informative with respect to which files are necessary, for what purpose, and where they should go. Explicit directions for a Windows XP install would be very helpful.
Thanks.

droid

Licensed User
Longtime User
It is not B4A you have to reinstall but the Android SDK.

If you want to re-install everything from scratch then make a copy of the B4A directory and reinstall it elsewhere.

Thanks, NJDude, but error messages were displayed during the reinstall of the Android SDK (please see below) and then the emulator failed to load after several minutes. Eventually, the 'loading' message box simply disappeared. Here is a partial listing of the SDK install messages which includes all the reported errors:

Found Intel x86 Atom System Image, Android API 10, revision 2
Found Intel x86 Atom System Image, Android API 15, revision 1
Found Intel x86 Atom System Image, Android API 16, revision 1
Found Intel x86 Atom System Image, Android API 17, revision 1
Found Intel x86 Atom System Image, Android API 18, revision 1
Done loading packages.
Preparing to install archives
Downloading Android SDK Platform-tools, revision 19
Installing Android SDK Platform-tools, revision 19
Stopping ADB server failed (code -1).
Installed Android SDK Platform-tools, revision 19
Downloading Documentation for Android SDK, API 19, revision 1
Download interrupted: SSL peer shut down incorrectly
Downloading SDK Platform Android 4.4, API 19, revision 1
Download interrupted: SSL peer shut down incorrectly
Downloading Samples for SDK API 19, revision 1
Installing Samples for SDK API 19, revision 1
Installed Samples for SDK API 19, revision 1

Upvote 0

droid

Licensed User
Longtime User
It seems like a connection problem, however, just in case, THIS is the Android SDK you need, just download and unzip. Your install should look like THIS.

That's all you need.

I downloaded and unzipped the SDK from the link you provided, then I re-ran B4A. Here is the message I get when I launch the emulator:

Starting emulator for AVD 'Emulator'
Failed to allocate memory: 8
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Upvote 0

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The emulator is really very slow, lacks most functions and it should be used only in rare cases, it is better to use a real device, but if you must use the emulator, then you will have to play with the settings when creating a virtual device.

Upvote 0

droid

Licensed User
Longtime User
The emulator is really very slow, lacks most functions and it should be used only in rare cases, it is better to use a real device, but if you must use the emulator, then you will have to play with the settings when creating a virtual device.
I wanted to use the emulator to practise so I wouldn't mess up my smartphone. Slow performance wouldn't bother me during the early learning phase.

Upvote 0