Android Question How to access properties of "unknown" object?

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have made a framework, where I can plug in GUI components by creating them as classes with a certain interface. Normally, I would do this using Implements, so that they would all appear to be the same class, but that option is not available in B4A.

So, in my case, I have a bunch of different GUI components (in the framework terminology called SCR). These are different, but they all share some common properties and methods.

So, for example, I want to do this:

B4X:
Sub ShowSCR(SCR As Object)
  SCR.HostPanel.Visible = True
End Sub

I know that SCR has a HostPanel property, which has a Visible property, but the compiler doesn't and reports an error.

How do I solve this, without true object oriented interfaces? For methods, it's easy to simply use CallSub (at least as long as they don't have many arguments), but properties?

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ah, but SCR isn't a panel. SCR is not a single class, it's a bunch of different classes with a common interface, and one of the exposed properties in that interface is HostPanel.

So, the code fails at the first dot, after SCR.

Upvote 0

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Then, this should work

B4X:
If SCR is someSpecificClass then
   Dim myP someSpecificClass =SCR
   myP.HostPanel.Visible=True
End if

Upvote 0

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, but it would kind of break the idea of having a framework where the host (where this code resides) don't have to know anything about the components it hosts, other than that they all share a certain interface.

At the moment, I need one (or, if one is strict about counting, two) line of code to add a component. Example:

B4X:
'Add About SCR
Dim SCR As cSCRAbout :AddSCR(SCR)
'Add Video SCR
Dim SCR As cSCRVideo :AddSCR(SCR)

That's the only place where I need to know the actual type. Form then on, I don't want to have to add any special handling at all for different SCRs. For example, if I do this the following, I shouldn't need any special handling depending on if it's cSCRAbout or cSCRVideo, I just need to know that since they have all the methods and properties that the SCR interface demands, they should have an Enabled-property.

B4X:
Sub EnableSCR(SCR as object, Enabled as Boolean)
  SCR.Enabled=Enabled
End Sub

These are the very building blocks in my framework, and I'm going to use them a lot. I don't want to add specific code for each SCR (which may be dozens) in every specific place I access them.

I understand (or, at least I think I do) why Erel has chosen to not go down the full object oriented path, and I support those reasons, but in this case, it would have been easy to just define an iSCR interface, then specify on all SCRs that they Implements iSCR. THat way, I could have been able to simply handle them all as iSCR.

Upvote 0

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ah, neat. I was going down a slightly similar path, using CallSub to directly call the getters and setters of the properties.

B4X:
Dim hp As Panel=CallSub(SCR, "getHostPanel")
hp.Visible = True

Your version is neater, though.

Upvote 0

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There is even a third method using classes. It will allow exactly the syntax you were initially looking for :)

Define a generic class with all the common interface members, and methods if needed
B4X:
'CI_class <-- Common interface class
Sub Class_Globals
  Dim Property1 as Boolean
  Dim Property2 as Int
end sub

The classes which share this common interface will place the members in a CI_class instance
B4X:
' 
Sub Class_Globals
  Dim CI as CI_class 'place where all your common interface properties will be
end sub

and finally, your SCR object wouldn't have to be an object anymore, but a CI_class instance

B4X:
   'myClass1 and myClass2 have a CI_class
   Dim myClass1Var as myClass1
   Dim myClass2Var as myClass2
   myVar1Class.Initialize(...)
   myVar2Class.Initialize(...)

Dim SCR1,SCR2 as CI_class
  SCR1=myClass1Var.CI
  SCR2=myClass2Var.CI

'Then you can do
  SCR1.Property1=True
  SCR2.Property2=3

Upvote 0

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Neat, very neat, but it wouldn't be without problems either, as there would then be a discrepancy between myClass Me and SCR Me. I use messages to communicate between classes, and this would mean they ended up at the wrong class. All in all, it would be a bit backward to put myClass in control over the parent SCR if it's contained in it.

I'm sure I could work around that (for example but adding an Owner property to SCR), but it would require a bit too much rebuild at this point.

Just to clarify: Even though the SCRs share the same interface, they will be very different on the inside, and will have very different capabilities and responses. Getting a clean path through the interface to the inside might be a bit awkward.

And, yes, I'm picky. I'm going to use this framework extensively in a large project, so I want it as smooth as possible to use. :)

Upvote 0