Android Tutorial How to Install and Run Android Apps Natively on Windows 10 and 11 with WSABuilds

Hello B4X community! If you've ever wanted to use Android apps directly on your Windows 10 or 11 PC, you're in luck. I'll provide you with a detailed tutorial on how to achieve this using WSABuilds.

Step 1: Access the WSABuilds Page

Go to the official WSABuilds page on GitHub: https://github.com/MustardChef/WSABuilds.

Step 2: Select Your Windows Distribution

At the bottom of the page, you'll find options to select your Windows distribution. Click on the one that corresponds to your operating system.

Step 3: Download the File

Once you've selected your distribution, you'll be redirected to the download page. At the bottom of this page, choose the file you want to download.

Step 4: Extract the Downloaded File

After the download, extract the downloaded file. Inside the extracted folder, find and double-click on the file named "Run." This will initiate the installation process.

Step 5: Run the "Run" File

Follow the provided installation instructions. If at any point you're prompted to restart your PC, do so, and then run the "Run" file again after the restart.

Step 6: Enjoy Android Apps on Your PC

Done! Once you've completed the above steps, you can enjoy Android apps natively on your Windows 10 or 11 PC. Feel free to explore and use your favorite apps directly from your desktop.

Remember that this method provides a native experience without the need for emulators. I hope you find this tutorial helpful! If you have any questions or comments, feel free to share them on the B4A forum. Enjoy using your Android apps on your PC!

Attachments

• 2023-12-25_172950.png
    2023-12-25_172950.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 574
  • 2023-12-25_173027.png
    2023-12-25_173027.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 478
  • 2023-12-25_173126.png
    2023-12-25_173126.png
    50.1 KB · Views: 469
  • 2023-12-25_173309.png
    2023-12-25_173309.png
    153.6 KB · Views: 514

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
In relation to memory does it require a lot?

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
There is a table.
The minimum is 8GB of RAM.

I see... Thank you.

Edit - On the other these are required computer specifications. What I wanted to know was maximum runtime memory consumption but it is definitely my mistake the way I mentioned it, so I am sorry. For example running an app in BlueStacks requires the maximum 300-320 megabytes. Not even half a giga.

Last edited:

RJB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe a stupid question but, having installed and confirmed in Task Manager that Windows Subsystem for Android is running, How do you run an Android App?
Double clicking the apk just brings up the 'Select and app......' dialog with nothing obvious listed.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/android/wsa/ says " to run Android applications that are available in the Amazon Appstore"
and
https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...-android-app-directly-under-windows11.135314/ says "Only available to Windows insiders in the USA"
are these still relevant?
I used the WSA_2310.40000.2.0_x64_Release-Nightly-MindTheGapps-13.0-RemovedAmazon.7z version.

fernando1987

Licensed User
Access advanced settings, enable experimental features, and set a shared folder for Windows files. After restarting your PC, place all APKs or files you want to use in this folder. To install an APK, copy it to the designated folder, open the subsystem, navigate to files, enter the "Windows" folder, and install the app.

RB Smissaert

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello B4X community! If you've ever wanted to use Android apps directly on your Windows 10 or 11 PC, you're in luck. I'll provide you with a detailed tutorial on how to achieve this using WSABuilds.

Step 1: Access the WSABuilds Page

Go to the official WSABuilds page on GitHub: https://github.com/MustardChef/WSABuilds.

Step 2: Select Your Windows Distribution

At the bottom of the page, you'll find options to select your Windows distribution. Click on the one that corresponds to your operating system.

Step 3: Download the File

Once you've selected your distribution, you'll be redirected to the download page. At the bottom of this page, choose the file you want to download.

Step 4: Extract the Downloaded File

After the download, extract the downloaded file. Inside the extracted folder, find and double-click on the file named "Run." This will initiate the installation process.

Step 5: Run the "Run" File

Follow the provided installation instructions. If at any point you're prompted to restart your PC, do so, and then run the "Run" file again after the restart.

Step 6: Enjoy Android Apps on Your PC

Done! Once you've completed the above steps, you can enjoy Android apps natively on your Windows 10 or 11 PC. Feel free to explore and use your favorite apps directly from your desktop.

Remember that this method provides a native experience without the need for emulators. I hope you find this tutorial helpful! If you have any questions or comments, feel free to share them on the B4A forum. Enjoy using your Android apps on your PC!
Could this work with a B4A app that uses a SQLCipher (SQLite) database?

RBS

RJB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Access advanced settings, enable experimental features, and set a shared folder for Windows files. After restarting your PC, place all APKs or files you want to use in this folder. To install an APK, copy it to the designated folder, open the subsystem, navigate to files, enter the "Windows" folder, and install the app.
Thanks.
After re-checking the requirements on Github and doing the above, it's now working. It looks impressive!
Possibly won't be much use however as 'FakeWifi' doesn't sound like wifi's going to work too well.
I can't see any setting for wifi, am I missing something?

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
To avoid modifying a development PC that I would like to keep as clean as possible, I would like to try WSABuild inside a virtual machine
Do you know if it is possible to do this?

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
To avoid modifying a development PC that I would like to keep as clean as possible, I would like to try WSABuild inside a virtual machine
Do you know if it is possible to do this?

I have not tried it but as I use virt machines all the time I would not recomend it. Also, seems the Android Subsystem is runing AS a virtural machine already.

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have not tried it but as I use virt machines all the time I would not recomend it. Also, seems the Android Subsystem is runing AS a virtural machine already.

I have tried it now, its NOT a virt machine, but a layer running with the OS. Might run OK in a virt machine.
My impression is its pretty cool and I have gotten it working with B4X.

Last edited:

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
The easiest way is to install B4a-Bridge so you can test the apps on the same PC without needing a phone

Thats the way I did it.

Remember though... This does not show an android desktop but just the runnning app. (when you install an app you get the option to create a Windows shortcut)
So you start the B4a-Bridge and then connect, then run B4X and your app opens in a new window.

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have tried it now, its NOT a virt machine, but a layer running with the OS. Might run OK in a virt machine.
My impression is its pretty cool and I have gotten it working with B4X.

On 2nd look there is a process 'Vmmem' that seems to be some type of virt machine so it does look like it is a virt machine. What confused me was the lack of any Hyper-V type of processes which is Microsofts standard way of doing virt machines.

Make sure you have plenty of RAM!