B4J Tutorial How to run .jar files on MacOs + VM to test (and other MacOs things)

Hi,

I had to make my application (PostChat) available on MacOs. I had no problems porting the app to Linux, but I found the port to MacOs very annoying, and had lots of issues. So I'm posting here what worked for me.

1) Creating a MacOs Virtual Machine:
This was quite straight forward, I followed this tutorial:

To make the VMWare work with B4j-Bridge, I had to change the network adapter to "Bridged". This way, the VMWare and your computer have different IP addresses, and you can connect B4j-bridge.

2) Installing B4j-Bridge:
Download B4j-bridge:
Remote debugging with B4J-Bridge | B4X Programming Forum

3) Installing a version of Java that includes JavaFX.
This is the part that took me the most time. To run b4j-bridge jar file, we need to find a version of Java that includes Javafx, that simplifies a lot the command line / terminal (like this and didn't work for me on macOs but was working on Linux)
I found that this package includes Java & JavaFX in a single installer:
Java Download | Java 8, Java 11, Java 13 - Linux, Windows & macOS (azul.com)

Make sure you select the Java package "JDK FX" for MacOS:

Azul.JPG

4) Install Azul JDK FX package
I downloaded as .DMG package, and run the installation with default parameters.

5) Run B4j-Bridge
B4j-Bridge can now be run either as double-click on the jar, or with this command in the terminal:
B4X:
java -jar b4j-bridge.jar

Note with double-clicking the JAR files (i.e. with B4j-Bridge or your app):
If you run b4j-bridge with a double-click, an error will pop-up:

b4jBridge_Locked.JPG

The application is locked. You need to go to the System preferences / Security & Privacy / Open Anyway

b4jBridge_Locked2.JPG

b4jBridge_Unlock.JPG

Note regarding the home Folder:
If you want to go to your documents directory (for example) the tilde sign "~" doesn't work in B4j.
It doesn't work as in the terminal:
B4X:
Dim DOCUMENTS_PATH_MACOS As String = "~/Documents/"
use this instead:
B4X:
Dim DOCUMENTS_PATH_MACOS As String = GetSystemProperty("user.home", "") & "/Documents/"