Bug? IDE a little shakier in 8.30 when using RDP

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm using B4A using RDP from my Linux box, and I'm getting weird error messages from this now and then (at least I don't think non-RDP users are seeing them).

Earlier they've been simple to ignore, they haven't really affected much. Just a strange message to close, and continue working. However, with 8.30 I'm seeing a new error message that seems to be of the same type, but with disturbing effects.

Sorry, I don't have the exact error message at hand - I'll update this post with it, and hopefully a screenshot next time I get it.

In the meantime I can say two things happen after I get that error:

1. Opening a module (for instance via control-e, typing and hitting enter) results in a new tab with the correct name. However, the code window is completely empty. The line numbers clearly show that the view only contains one line (which also is empty). Closing the tab and reopening a number of times (like 5 or so) tends to get the code back at some point.

2. Opening a module (same way as above) can sometime produce an empty sub dropdown (the one between the tabs and the code area). Its height seems to always be ~10 lines or so, all completely empty. Nothing happens if I select one. If I switch to another tab and back it seems to be re-populated correctly.

(For #1 above, I haven't tried the tab switching, will do so next time it happens.)

I have never had to restart the IDE to solve the problem, if that's a clue to what's happening. I should also note that this doesn't happen consistently, just often enough to be disturbing.

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just a follow-up... Nope, installing updates and restarting did nothing to improve this. Also, I believe I managed to catch the message. One typical situation where this appears is when I close a code tab. But absolutely not every time I close a code tab. Gut feeling is it seems to happen more frequently if I just recently attached to the RDP session.

I just realized another symptom. I just did a search in the IDE for something, and clicked one of the hits. New tab opens with the code, the error below is displayed - and then the cursor is placed on the wrong line. Clicking the same search result again places the cursor correctly.

upload_2018-7-9_9-59-43.png

Last edited: