Bug? IDE code editor slowness due to many syntax errors

ranul

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

Sometimes when I change, for example, a variable name, all the lines that reference that variable immediately get a red underline because the variable is undeclared.
The problem is that if there are more than 10 lines with a red underline, the code editor performance becomes extremely slow, which make it hard to code.

Thanks.

ranul

Licensed User
Longtime User
My computer is new and fast (i7)
It happens to me a lot.
I tried to write a sample code to demonstrate it, but it doesn't happen with a small source code.
But in my app, which has 30 modules and maybe 10,000 lines of code, it is enough to have 10 errors (red errors) to make the coding very slow.
Every character I type appears slowly in the editor.
I notice it mostly when all the errors are in the same module.

Last edited:

Jeanc161

Licensed User
Longtime User
This also append to me too, i have a lots of lines in my coding, and it slow down , some time it evens take 1 or 2 seconds before the text i typed appears, and it repeat many times, so i disable some of the features in the tools so it won't display some filling syntax and not showing some of the popups.

I think that there are too many popups displaying, i even some time don't see the line i'm typing because there are too many popups showing and hiding what is nessecairy to code my sub or module or whatever.

I think there should be an option to disable some of the popups, wich most of the time i don't need anyway, as to see the full sub in a popup, or other popup i find it useless, and i think that is a feature for beginners.

This append in B4A, B4J and B4I

My Proceesor is a I5 3.2ghz, with 12g of ram and a high res 1980x1080 on a 4k TV using the VGA or the hdmi port.

So maybe Erel you should take a look with that, cause it's getting anoying, i have to remove some modules and class so that i can code one module properly.
I also noticed it happen when i have some long module with maybe 2000 line of code or more in one module and it slow down on that module only.

I also clean up unnessairy code and move some sub in other module but with no avail, it still does the same thing. Sometime i restart the computer and it get ok for a short while and then it redo the same thing again. And it is true that if you got an error on one variable and that variable get repeated on many module, it slow down considerably until i fix the issue, What i think is maybe all the lookup for syntax, and error detection or other issues happening in the background slow down the process as it try to display something wich i don't know what, and the typed text appears one or 2 seconds after i typed it.

So i don't know if it is a bug or a conception in the sub running in the background to display all the popups or something but it defenitively something that is not wright.

If someone else have the same problem please let know it in this forum so that at least i won't look or sound stupid reporting this. Thanbks all

ranul

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

Take a look at the attached example.
Function AddDataToList() previously took only 5 arguments, but now I want to add a sixth argument to the function.
In sub "Test", all calls to AddDataToList() became errors because there is a new argument.
And now the coding inside sub "Test" becomes very slow.
This is a small source code, so I had to demonstrate it with 50 lines of error.
In big source codes, the problem is much worse.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Slowness_Example.zip
    14.5 KB · Views: 207

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@ranul
Could not reproduce it. I wrote some statements in the Test sub and everything worked smoothly, even on my old computer at work with these specifications:
upload_2019-12-24_13-39-46.png