I'm very impressed with LibGDX performance!

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm writing a top down space shooter game and I can add 500 enemy ships, all firing at the player with no slow down. This is running on an LG G3, which is a very powerful phone, but even if I can still get 250 enemies on a lower end phone with no slow down, that's still impressive, and that's with rotating sprites, lots of angles being calculated, bullets being fired all over the place, on screen twin stick controllers.
The game's far from finished, but I'm just so pleased with the performance of LibGDX I thought I'd post something.

Once the game's finished I'll see if I can do some performance tuning, as I always do, but right now I'm thinking I don't need to!:):):)

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hey Andy,

I read last week that libGDX supports IOS aswell, how would one wrap that into a B4I library?

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm writing a top down space shooter game and I can add 500 enemy ships, all firing at the player with no slow down. This is running on an LG G3, which is a very powerful phone, but even if I can still get 250 enemies on a lower end phone with no slow down, that's still impressive, and that's with rotating sprites, lots of angles being calculated, bullets being fired all over the place, on screen twin stick controllers.
The game's far from finished, but I'm just so pleased with the performance of LibGDX I thought I'd post something.

Once the game's finished I'll see if I can do some performance tuning, as I always do, but right now I'm thinking I don't need to!:):):)

... And have 50 enemies is already too much, you will not survive :D

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I know!!! 50 enemies is loads! But I like to do stress testing, the chances are I'd only have up to 20 enemies per level, and I can make it more efficient by only updating enemies on screen.

Yes, I had understood this. I pointed out the fact that if you do not have problems of speed with 500 enemies, let alone with 50, which are already so many ;)

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
yeah, being able to handle 500 aliens means I should be able to add loads of complex AI for the enemies, then asteroids, homing missiles, particle effects for explosions, better onscreen GUI. It will look much better when I'm finished. I'll upload a youtube clip in a week to show the progress. This is all forming a new tutorial series I'm writing in blog format and for youtube on using libGDX with Basic4Android to write games.