Android Question Import csv to SQLite problems with Android 5.0

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Dman, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Dman

Dman Active Member Licensed User

I am working on an app to import a csv file into an sqlite database and it works on Android 4.x but gives me a "android.database.CursorWindowAllocationException: Cursor window allocation of 2048 kb failed. # Open Cursors=749 (# cursors opened by this proc=749)" error on Android 5.0 and exits the application.

I have attached a test app and I think I am close but I am having a hard time trying to figure out what is wrong with the code. If you click on the View button you can see that it imports some rows but not all of them. On my device it imports 1994 rows before kicking me out according to the count button. The csv file has 2339 rows.

Like I said I think I am close but for some reason my brain isn't functioning well as what my issue is. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the import sub.

Code:
    Sub importvehicles

Dim j As Int

Dim FileDialog1 As FileDialog

ProgressDialogShow("Importing vehicles, please wait")

DoEvents
      FileDialog1.FilePath = 
    File.DirDefaultExternal & "/import"

SQL1.BeginTransaction

'read csv File
      Dim Reader As TextReader
      Reader.Initialize(
    File.OpenInput(FileDialog1.FilePath, "vehicle.csv"))

Try

Dim line As String

Do While line <> Null
      j = j + 
      line = Reader.ReadLine

Dim ColumnContent() As String
      ColumnContent = 
    Regex.Split(";", line)

'stuff I added
                 Dim orgrow As String
                 orgrow = ColumnContent(
    0)

Try
                   dbcursor = SQL1.ExecQuery(
    "SELECT * FROM vehicle WHERE orgrow ='" & orgrow & "' AND handheldid = 'Paul'"'Grab the data from the ftp file
                 Catch

Log(LastException.Message)

End Try

If dbcursor.RowCount > 0 Then
                   SQL1.ExecNonQuery2(
    "UPDATE vehicle SET orgrow = ?, vehid = ?, invoicenumber = ?, date = ?, stocknumber = ?, year = ?, make = ?, model = ?, color = ?, vinnumber = ?, amount = ?, tax = ?, extra1 = ?, extra2 = ?, extra3 = ?, extra4 = ? WHERE orgrow = '" & orgrow & "' AND handheldid = 'Paul' AND extra1 <> '3'"Array As String(ColumnContent(0), ColumnContent(1), ColumnContent(2), ColumnContent(3), ColumnContent(4), ColumnContent(5), ColumnContent(6), ColumnContent(7), ColumnContent(8), ColumnContent(9), ColumnContent(10), ColumnContent(11), ColumnContent(12), ColumnContent(13), ColumnContent(14), ColumnContent(15)))

Else

SQL1.ExecNonQuery2(
    "INSERT INTO vehicle VALUES (?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)"Array As Object (ColumnContent(0), ColumnContent(1), ColumnContent(2), ColumnContent(3), ColumnContent(4), ColumnContent(5), ColumnContent(6), ColumnContent(7), ColumnContent(8), ColumnContent(9), ColumnContent(10), ColumnContent(11), ColumnContent(12), ColumnContent(13), ColumnContent(14), ColumnContent(15), "Paul"))

End If

DoEvents

Loop

Catch

Log(LastException.Message)

End Try
      Reader.Close
      SQL1.TransactionSuccessful
      SQL1.EndTransaction
         dbcursor.close

ProgressDialogHide

Msgbox("Vehicles imported!""Message")

End Sub 
    [/code
    }

Attached Files:

2. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

Why don't you use StringUtils.LoadCSV to read the table?

I recommend you to remove the DoEvents call from the loop and close dbcursor at the end of each loop.

Dman likes this.
  3. Dman

OK I will work on it some more when I get home. Thanks!

4. keirS

keirS Well-Known Member Licensed User

Try putting dbcursor.close inside your while loop; just before the loop statement.

Dman likes this.
  5. Dman

Thanks guys, that appears to work. If I take the DoEvents out of the loop, the progress dialog will not work. Any suggestions?

6. NJDude

NJDude Expert Licensed User

You could add a DoEvents, but to run it every X numbers of records, without DoEvents the progress won't update.

Dman likes this.
  7. Dman

Is there any recommended way to put a "Please wait" message besides doing it that way or the way I am doing it? I would like to do it the best way but I need to have something up there.

8. NJDude

That's the way to do it.

Dman likes this.
  9. Dman

Thank you sir!

10. Dman

OK I am a dummy. How would you run something every x number of records in a Do While Loop? I can think of ways that are extremely complicated but most of the time when I do that, there is usually a simple way. Knowing the row count in a For Loop would be simple to do I think but I am stumped on this one.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  11. NJDude

One idea, use the RowCount, and every time the result is a multiple of 10 or 20 or whatever number of records you trigger the DoEvents.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    Dman likes this.
  12. Dman

Thanks. I got it figured out. I now have it firing every 10 records and it cut the import time on this sample from over 40 seconds to 10.

Awesome, thanks!

luqmanhaidar likes this.
  13. NJDude

Bravo!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice