B4R Question [In Search of Advice] So my wife got us an Aquarium...

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Guys and Gals

So my wife got us an Aquarium... an old, used, dirty 100L Aquarium...
We spent an hour of so cleaning it from the old (5cm tall) substrate.
The person who gave us the aquarium also gave us everything that it came with, so I have a floating mercury thermometer, the heater, the air pump etc..
This was, and most likely will still be, a sweet hot water fish tank.
Right away I started thinking about what I could create to ease the laborious tasks, maintenance wise.
SO, Knowing that a few of our members have used a raspi to do similar tasks, I come here for advice.

I plan to use as a base either an ESP2866 or a Nano (the ESP is to me the most powerful choice)
Also a nice ui created using my unused Nextion display, my 8 chanel Relay ( or maybe buy a 4 chanel), and a bunch of sensors... but which ones???

Please help me with your input about sensors, what is possible and what is not.
Like, in water temp sensor, PH sensor (does one exist?), etc

Lighting wise, I have a white Led Strip and my RGB 5x8 led board, so I would like to simulate day/night light cycles...

So, pitch in, every advice is welcome

atiaust

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Cableguy,

Have a look on ebay. There is numerous PH probes that you can use with arduino.

Lighting shouldn't be to difficult. Setup a real time clock on the arduino. I may be wrong but I seem to remember from my days as a fish tank owner the lights needed certain frequencies to help plant growth.

Upvote 0

kolbe

Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe a a light sensor or UV sensor. Shine a known light from one side and see what is received on the other. Maybe this can detect water clarity or algae and the like.

With an unlimited budget :)... dissolved oxygen sensor.

Upvote 0

Mark Read

Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0