iOS Question Installing the application on the customer's device

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, I have no idea about iOS or Apple products, and my question may be silly, but here goes:
Is it mandatory to upload the app to the Apple store or can you install an app just like with Android locally, on the customer's device?
Thank you very much.

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 2

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you very much :)

I think I will have to upload the app to the apple store because I don't have access to client devices :confused:
I have read somewhere that I have to register and pay, I will investigate how it works.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In this case i would guess you need a Apple Developeraccount ($99/Year) and a HostedBuilder-Subscription.
I´m not sure though...

MY answer is based on https://www.b4x.com/b4i.html

Requirements

Apple developer account (costs $99 per year).
An iOS device running iOS 10+.
Windows PC or VM for the B4i IDE

The compilation process requires a Mac computer. You can either use a local Mac computer or use our Hosted Mac Builder service (currently costs $26 per year). Note that if you use a local Mac computer then you can develop with the iOS simulator which does not require an Apple developer account.

Upvote 1

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Wow, the "Apple Developer account" if I stop paying the next year do they remove the application from the Apple store?

Upvote 0

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
if I stop paying the next year do they remove the application from the Apple store?
You will no longer be able to publish updates and no new users will be able to find and download your app. However, existing users will still be able to use the app.

Upvote 1

aminoacid

Licensed User
Longtime User
In my opinion, this is the easiest way ...... The way I do it is get the customer's UDID. Ask them to get it from "get.udid.io" and send it to you. Add the UDID to the provisioning profile. Use B4I to build the (ad-hoc) release app. Upload the release app using OTA Deployer. Send the link from OTA Deployer to the Customer. Customer installs the App. Works like a charm every time.

If you are interested in pursuing this option let me know and I'll be glad to send you the details.

[edit] Another option is to use Diawai (https://www.diawi.com/) instead of OTA Deployer.

But FIRST ... Get an Apple Developer account. Create a small test app. Run it in debug mode and make sure it works. The run it in "release" mode and make sure it works. Then test it out on your own phone in release mode using OTA deployer or Diawi. You have quite a journey ahead before you get there ........

Last edited:
Upvote 1

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you very much, friends, it seems to me that all that is too cumbersome and too expensive for a project that will be used by a single company and that will be used by a few hundred users with Android and only 3 or 4 users with iPhone.

Upvote 0

RichardN

Licensed User
Longtime User
@vecino

Another factor to consider: The OTG installer is really practical for small-scale distribution..... But!

- You can only install apps on devices whose UIDs are contained in your .mobileprovision file downloaded from the developer area (and yes that's $99).

- And.... those apps you install will stop working when your current developer subscription expires. If you want to renew your subscription for another year you will have to re-compile with a new certificate and re-distribute. This limitation is the same even if you are registered with an Apple corporate distribution account.

I understand the new Free Developer Account allows you to install up to 3 apps on any device but I am not sure of the mechanics and limitations of this as I have never used it. Maybe somebody else here can contribute on that subject?

Upvote 0

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you very much, friends, it seems to me that all that is too cumbersome and too expensive for a project that will be used by a single company and that will be used by a few hundred users with Android and only 3 or 4 users with iPhone.
You can escape all these, by partnering with a developer who already have the account, to upload it for you and pay the person a token.
Or even do the OTA Deployer on the 3 devices you talked about.

Upvote 0