B4i Library [tool] OTA Deployer - Easily distribute your app to beta testers

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a tool for developers who use the hosted builder. With this tool your beta testers can install your app over the air by clicking on a link.

In order to distribute your app you need to follow these steps:

1. Add the beta tester device UDID to the provision file and download the updated file.
2. Compile your app in release mode, using the development certificate.
3. Download the archive with Tools - Build Server - Download Last Built.
4. Open archive.zip and extract the ipa file.
5. Run OTA Deployer (double click on the jar file), fill the fields and upload the ipa file to the server.

SS-2015-12-24_16.45.59.png

The server will return a long link starting with itms-services. Send this link to the beta testers (by email or any other way).

Notes

- The maximum allowed IPA size is 60mb.
- A single IPA file (the last one) is stored per account.
- IPA files will be deleted from the server after 30 days.

Download link: www.b4x.com/b4i/files/OTA_Deployer.jar

Last edited:

highflyer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you Erel for this excellent tool, even more useful would be a b4j based server to deploy in house OTA .

regards
Highflyer

This is a tool for developers who use the hosted builder. With this tool your beta testers can install your app over the air by clicking on a link.

In order to distribute your app you need to follow these steps:

1. Add the beta tester device UDID to the provision file and download the updated file.
2. Compile your app in release mode, using the development certificate.
3. Download the archive with Tools - Build Server - Download Last Built.
4. Open archive.zip and extract the ipa file.
5. Run OTA Deployer (double click on the jar file), fill the fields and upload the ipa file to the server.

SS-2015-12-24_16.45.59.png

The server will return a long link starting with itms-services. Send this link to the beta testers (by email or any other way).

Notes

- The maximum allowed IPA size is 40mb.
- A single IPA file (the last one) is stored per account.
- IPA files will be deleted from the server after 30 days.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The code in the B4J desktop is not really interesting. It just sends the file with the fields to the server. The server code cannot be published as it interacts with the UI Cloud database.

The main problem with in-house OTA solution is that the ipa file must be served from a https url. OTA itself is simple. You just need to create an xml file and upload it. See this link for an example: https://gist.github.com/hramos/774468

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel,

In one of the other first steps tutorials you mention that we need to install the B4i ca.perm certificate to allow over the air installations.

Is this also required on the tester's device for this distribution tool?

manolitoGnet

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I run my own Mac, Can I serve OTA to my beta testers? Do not worry about router and firewalls, IPs, ports...

Thanks

manolitoGnet

Licensed User
Longtime User
You must serve the ipa file from a https url with a recognized certificate. It will be easier to use dropbox to share the file.
Ok, to buy a certificate is only money ;-) But, Is it possible to accept an autosigned certificate with an iPhone?

The goal is to avoid de use of iTunes, there are people out with iPhone and no iTunes at all...

Thanks

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok, to buy a certificate is only money ;-)
It is a bit more complicated as you also need a static ip address. The certificate is tied to a specific ip.

But, Is it possible to accept an autosigned certificate with an iPhone?
Yes. This is exactly what you do when you install the B4I certificate.

manolitoGnet

Licensed User
Longtime User
It is a bit more complicated as you also need a static ip address. The certificate is tied to a specific ip.

Hahaha! More money! Yeah you are right...

Yes. This is exactly what you do when you install the B4I certificate.

So there is a solution... Will work on it and if success publish a tutorial.

Thanks again Erel.

Greg Shannon

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've used this tool successfully in the past, however, today it isn't working. I'm getting the following error:

Error: Make sure that the account id is correct
(java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: socket write error).

I've verified the account id and the account id still works to build the app. The app size hasn't changed since it last work, it's 2.9 MB. Java was updated since that last time it worked, it's now Version 8 Update 101. The error occurs 30 seconds after the clicking on Send, usually around 2.16MB / 2.9MB uploaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.