installing/uninstalling, CAB-file etc..

Discussion in 'Questions (Windows Mobile)' started by moster67, Jun 8, 2008.

1. moster67

moster67 Expert Licensed User

Hello again,

I've read on the forum the procedure for creating an "install-program". OK (although I haven't tried it yet).

however..Just some questions in this regard (programmes to be installed on phone-device):

1) what is the preferred mode (or official way) for the end-user to install applications: distributing my application with an .exe to be launched from the desktop or shall I just distribute a CAB-file which I instruct the user to copy to the device?

2) I guess most devices these days have SD-card...once copied to the device, where do you normally suggest the user to install the application? On the storage-card or in the device? Any speed-benefits executing my applications from the device instead from the Storage-device?

3) Does the procedure for creating an "install-program" also automatically create a script for uninstalling (and its appearence in the "Uninstall Applications")?

Many thanks in advance.

Rgds,
    \moster67

2. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

3. moster67

moster67 Expert Licensed User

Many thanks for your quick reply Erel...

however I forgot to ask one question: if the user copy the CAB-file on the device and launches the install-procedure from there, can I safely remove the CAB-file after installation or is it needed for the uninstall-script?

thank you

\moster67

4. Erel

You can safely remove the CAB file after installing it.
    In fact this is the default (and sometimes annoying) behavior of WM2003 devices.

5. colin9876

colin9876 Active Member Licensed User

why is it annoying that u can delete the CAB?

Also in 1) - whilst Erel says he prefers EXE distributions, for people like me who only use the ppc, CABS are the only way I can install stuff downloading them from the net directly to the device. So in my mind CABS are much better than a program that has to run on a pc and use ActiveStink to copy it to my device

6. Erel

WM2003 devices automatically delete the cab file after installing the application.
    This behavior was changed in WM5.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice