installing/uninstalling, CAB-file etc..

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello again,

I've read on the forum the procedure for creating an "install-program". OK (although I haven't tried it yet).

however..Just some questions in this regard (programmes to be installed on phone-device):

1) what is the preferred mode (or official way) for the end-user to install applications: distributing my application with an .exe to be launched from the desktop or shall I just distribute a CAB-file which I instruct the user to copy to the device?

2) I guess most devices these days have SD-card...once copied to the device, where do you normally suggest the user to install the application? On the storage-card or in the device? Any speed-benefits executing my applications from the device instead from the Storage-device?

3) Does the procedure for creating an "install-program" also automatically create a script for uninstalling (and its appearence in the "Uninstall Applications")?

Many thanks in advance.

Rgds,
\moster67

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Many thanks for your quick reply Erel...

however I forgot to ask one question: if the user copy the CAB-file on the device and launches the install-procedure from there, can I safely remove the CAB-file after installation or is it needed for the uninstall-script?

thank you

\moster67

colin9876

Licensed User
why is it annoying that u can delete the CAB?

Also in 1) - whilst Erel says he prefers EXE distributions, for people like me who only use the ppc, CABS are the only way I can install stuff downloading them from the net directly to the device. So in my mind CABS are much better than a program that has to run on a pc and use ActiveStink to copy it to my device