IOIO or not IOIO

P373R

Licensed User
Longtime User
It is pretty nice that ioio thingy and it works with bt dongle but still you have to run a android app to keep the ioio doing things or you will have to rewrite the firmware to do some standalone tasks which is not as easy as using an arduino.

An arduino compatible board with a bt module connected to a android device is a far more powerfull combination for me.

Pros:
Programm runs on microcontroller board (standalone). Android device can be used as remote to change parameters of the programm.
Lot of libraries hardware shields and tutorials for arduino.
Board like Iteaduino BT ( bt module already implemented ) cost about 23€
No problems with dongles ;>

Cons:
Need c++ skills for the arduino part.
Cant be controlled from android via usb (But there are some versions that support ADK).

Here is a vid of my DIY led project controlled over such kind of hardware setup. Even if the android tablet is disconnected the LED system still detect beats via mic

http://gsgrid.net/led.wmv

kolbe

Licensed User
Longtime User
OK I'll bite. They both have their pros and cons. The way I see it... the biggest IOIO disadvantage is the lack of standalone operation. But... this is also a big advantage as with a cheap Android you get a complete GUI interface to your project. You also get the sensors that most androids come with these days. For example Self balancing robot. Keep in mind that the IOIO is relatively new, where as the Arduinos have been around for a while. If you are already invested in the Arduinos perhaps there is no big reason to change. If you are new to this type of thing and already have an Android, I think the IOIO w/ b4a could be the simplest way to get started.

Upvote 0

P373R

Licensed User
Longtime User
Im not saying they are bad .. i have 2 of them ;> but still havnt found a dongle that works ;> ordered now 2 from dealextreeme ;>

As i said there are pros and contras .

Upvote 0

pinoy_ako

Licensed User
Longtime User
the bt dongles i got from dx can be used with a motorola droidX but can not be detected by htc wildfireS and sensationXL.

Upvote 0

kolbe

Licensed User
Longtime User
I tried two others before finding this one. Works with the Dell Streak7 and the Samsung Galaxy S wifi 3.6. Make sure the potentiometer is turned all the way up. It is also best that you use the latest bootloader and firmware. Unfortunately you need two IOIOs to update the bootloader. Try the IOIO google groups to find more BT dongles that are reported to work.

TRENDnet TBW-106UB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jeeradate

Licensed User
Longtime User
Im not saying they are bad .. i have 2 of them ;> but still havnt found a dongle that works ;> ordered now 2 from dealextreeme ;>

As i said there are pros and contras .

I saw that youtube Video said that you have to increase the power that supply to the USB by adjust variable resister near USB port to let the dongle work.

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Cant be controlled from android via usb (But there are some versions that support ADK).
Not true! :) UsbSerial should be able to talk to Adruinos with FTDI based slave ports and might also work with later Arduinos with 8U2 or 16U2 slaves - a brief test seems to work on the 8U2 port of my Arduino Mega ADK. http://www.b4x.com/forum/additional...inos-other-usb-serial-devices.html#post143809

Also see my ADk tutorials http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4android-getting-started-tutorials/27510-arduino-adk-introduction.html

Upvote 0