iOS Question iOS App Network Data Limit

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I am not 100% sure about this (got told by someone) and want to know if anyone knows anything about this..

I was told if you are using 3G/4G in a app for communication you where limited to 1MB per minute.
But if you are using Wi-Fi then it's unlimited.

Does anyone know if this is true or if it has now changed ?

tuhatinhvn

Licensed User
Longtime User
CORRECT
You are only allowed to stream 1 MB per minute over the Cellular network. Support suggest that you test your app in the following way:

"The basic measurement methodology is to turn off all background updating (particularly Mail's automatic mail downloads and Calendar updates), reset the transfer statistics in "Settings:General:Usage:", and then launch your application. Let it run for a fixed amount of time (five minutes is reasonable), and then exit your application. Once you've finished the test, the numbers listed under "Cellular Network Data" in "Settings:General:Usage:" are what you should focus on reducing.

Using what I just described, I'd suggest 4.8 MB every 5 minutes as the guideline you use to ensure your application stays within our bandwidth requirements."

Hope that helps at least a little.

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I found this

So with HTTP Live Streaming you should be fine although it seems you need to provide a lower bitrate option. So I guess all these streaming apps such as YouTube, Spotify, Netflix and so forth are using HTTP Live Streaming.

Upvote 0
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…