iOS Question iOS App Network Data Limit

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I am not 100% sure about this (got told by someone) and want to know if anyone knows anything about this..

I was told if you are using 3G/4G in a app for communication you where limited to 1MB per minute.
But if you are using Wi-Fi then it's unlimited.

Does anyone know if this is true or if it has now changed ?

tuhatinhvn

Licensed User
Longtime User
CORRECT
You are only allowed to stream 1 MB per minute over the Cellular network. Support suggest that you test your app in the following way:

"The basic measurement methodology is to turn off all background updating (particularly Mail's automatic mail downloads and Calendar updates), reset the transfer statistics in "Settings:General:Usage:", and then launch your application. Let it run for a fixed amount of time (five minutes is reasonable), and then exit your application. Once you've finished the test, the numbers listed under "Cellular Network Data" in "Settings:General:Usage:" are what you should focus on reducing.

Using what I just described, I'd suggest 4.8 MB every 5 minutes as the guideline you use to ensure your application stays within our bandwidth requirements."

Hope that helps at least a little.

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I found this

Requirements for Apps

Warning: iOS apps submitted for distribution in the App Store must conform to these requirements.

If your app delivers video over cellular networks, and the video exceeds either 10 minutes duration or 5 MB of data in a five minute period, you are required to use HTTP Live Streaming. (Progressive download may be used for smaller clips.)

If your app uses HTTP Live Streaming over cellular networks, you are required to provide at least one stream at 64 Kbps or lower bandwidth (the low-bandwidth stream may be audio-only or audio with a still image).

These requirements apply to iOS apps submitted for distribution in the App Store for use on Apple products. Non-compliant apps may be rejected or removed, at the discretion of Apple.

So with HTTP Live Streaming you should be fine although it seems you need to provide a lower bitrate option. So I guess all these streaming apps such as YouTube, Spotify, Netflix and so forth are using HTTP Live Streaming.

Upvote 0