iOS Question iOS - set TTS voice in device

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is probably a very silly question - reflecting my 3 days of exposure to iPhones (4s).

I have looked everywhere for an answer to no avail - including several hours spent trawling through the phones settings.

I have TTS working in my B4i/iOS app and would like to know how I can change the voice - manually on the device.

Thanks in anticipation...

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel,

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately the link seems to be discussing programmatic ways to change the TTS voice.

I was after a manual way - let me explain a little.

I have developed an B4A app that uses voice prompts to guide the user through some of the steps involved in using it (with ability to turn this off in preferences).

My thought was that the choice of voice should be left to the user through normal device settings, for example on my Samsung S5 he can:

-----------------------------

[Settings] > [Language and input] > [Text-to-speech options] > [Speech rate] > [(choice)]

then either:

[Samsung text-to-speech engine] or [Google Text-to-speech engine]

then if [Google Text-to-speech engine]:

[* (settings on RHS)] > [Language] > [English (United Kingdom)] > [(back button)] > [Install voice data] > [English (United Kingdom)] > [Male] > ...

-----------------------------

I am now buried in the B4I sister app and was looking for a similar capability on my iPhone 4s.

I am still looking and feel I am missing something fundamental.

Thanks again...

Upvote 0

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
<RESOLVED>

AMBUSHED BY AN iOS BUG?

Well I couldn't resist having another look at my iPhone 4s.

During my original trawling through its settings I had pretty quickly found:

[Settings] > [General] > [Language & Region]

which was showing [Region] = [Australia] and [iPhone Language] = [English (Australia)] which was logical.

At that time I tried changing the language by:

[Settings] > [General] > [Language & Region] > (leaving [Region] = [Australia]) > [iPhone Language] > [English (U.K.)]

Hoping for a nice plummy Pommy accent.

But there was no change in TTS voice in my embryonic B4I app - so I assumed this was not the way to change the TTS voice manually.

One should never assume - digging in the same area again I have found:

If have [Region] = [Australia]:
o [iPhone Language] = [English (Australia)] - works OK
o [iPhone Language] = [English (U.K.)] - NOK - uses [English (Australia)]
o [iPhone Language] = [English (U.S.)] - works OK
If have [Region] = [United Kingdom]:
o [iPhone Language] = [English (Australia)] - works OK
o [iPhone Language] = [English (U.K.)] - works OK
o [iPhone Language] = [English (U.S.)] - works OK

In other words the one choice I originally made to test if this was the mechanism was buggy.

So the answer to my original question is you can change the TTS voice manually in an iPhone 4s by:

[Settings] > [General] > [Language & Region] > [iPhone Language] > [(choice)]

but beware the bugs...

Upvote 0