Java Question Is Eclipse still relevant for new SDKs?

DevBaby

Licensed User
Longtime User
I recently downloaded the Facebook SDK which is no no longer in a .jar format but a .aar format. I read where the Android Developer Tool IDE supports this newer format.

With that said, i cannot reference / import this new format using Eclipse. Can I use the ADT IDE to do the same functions as Eclipse to produce a library?

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can extract the aar-files (just unzip it). See this
Lately I am using Android Studio and SLC for the building steps
(SLC is simply amazing - I don't know why I wasted so much time with Eclipse in the past for the building stage)

DevBaby

Licensed User
Longtime User
You can extract the aar-files (just unzip it). See this
Lately I am using Android Studio and SLC for the building steps
(SLC is simply amazing - I don't know why I wasted so much time with Eclipse in the past for the building stage)

Thanks for your response, i will research...

In the meantime.... does SLC use intellisense etc? I am not good with the syntax and need at least that part of the IDE environment.

How do you use AS and SLC together? Do you use AS to import / create a jar and then use SLC for the B4A integration?

My steps are

1) use EC to import SDK
2) use EC to integrate B4A reference
3) use EC to create final jar for use in B4A code

Can I use AS to import the .aar file, add code and then export in a format that can be read by SLC?

I have download AS, but I had a hard time trying to load the .aar file (maybe because I was trying to do so as a project). I was under the impression that I could not use AS for for the integration but I could be wrong. Perhaps I can sub AS for eclipse and use the B4Ashared.jar and core.jar as with Eclipse?

Your help is appreciated.

Last edited:

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
does SLC use intellisense etc?
No. SLC = Simple Library Compiler
And that´s what it does. Compiling the code to a jar and an xml.

You can use any "Editor" you like to use

DevBaby

Licensed User
Longtime User
No. SLC = Simple Library Compiler
And that´s what it does. Compiling the code to a jar and an xml.

You can use any "Editor" you like to use

Thanks, but that my confusion. If I use any editor, how do I then export the work (in what format) for SLC to use?

I am not sure what formats Android Studio exports that may not be read by SLC.

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I use Android Studio for coding and SLC for building the library. You can find SLC here:

https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...mpiler-build-libraries-without-eclipse.29918/

I normally add the aar-file library to Android Studio and test the project I want to wrap. (adding a library to Android Studio is similar as to what indicated here ).
Then I unzip the aar and using the guidelines in the Stackoverflow-link that I posted in my earlier post, I create the structure which SLC wants (read the SLC thread).
Normally I write the code in Android Studio and when I want to test in B4A, I copy the code/sources and compile using SLC.

DevBaby

Licensed User
Longtime User
I use Android Studio for coding and SLC for building the library. You can find SLC here:

https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...mpiler-build-libraries-without-eclipse.29918/

I normally add the aar-file library to Android Studio and test the project I want to wrap. (adding a library to Android Studio is similar as to what indicated here ).
Then I unzip the aar and using the guidelines in the Stackoverflow-link that I posted in my earlier post, I create the structure which SLC wants (read the SLC thread).
Normally I write the code in Android Studio and when I want to test in B4A, I copy the code/sources and compile using SLC.

Thanks...this seems so confusing, but I will have to learn this at some point, I am just not grasping the concept of all of the extra resource files, the R.txt file etc that are now included with the .aar. Most of my sdk's are simple method calls, but the facebook sdk is a little more complicated. I was able to find an earlier version of the sdk from 2015 that may suffice for now. Thank for your help.