Android Question Is it possible to do this with a NFC tag?

RDoull

Hi All,

I'm new to all this so please excuse me if anything is wrong or in the wrong place.

what I am looking to try and achieve is having an NFC tag scanned by my phone, it will then print the last photo taken to a Bluetooth pocket printer. Or better still (if possible) when the tag is scanned by any phone, the last photo taken is printed on my Bluetooth pocket printer.

Is it possible? if it is... where do I start to learn how to do it?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated

kind regards

RDoull

drgottjr

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
it is possible to write a command to an nfc tag which (when scanned) will launch an android application.

it is possible to scan such a tag.

it is possible to write an application which causes the camera to take a picture. it isn't clear from your
post whether you want the camera to do this automatically or in the normal fashion with user intervention.
either way is possible.

it is possible for an android application to print to a bluetooth printer.

this is not typically a task for someone's first attempt at an application, but i admire
your courage. there are examples here covering all 4 of the functions
mentioned above. i would definitely tackle them 1 at a time. they can always
be united for a final thrust. pick one to start and search for an example. get it
running. get help for it along the way. choose the next feature and start over.

i think the hardest part will involve the printer. you need to write a minimal app
to see if you can get that one going. there is a library which you attach to your
app (https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/sd-escpos-printer-lan-usb-bluetooth-spp-ble.142512/)
if you can get that one going, the others are easier.

Upvote 0

RDoull

it is possible to write a command to an nfc tag which (when scanned) will launch an android application.

it is possible to scan such a tag.

it is possible to write an application which causes the camera to take a picture. it isn't clear from your
post whether you want the camera to do this automatically or in the normal fashion with user intervention.
either way is possible.

it is possible for an android application to print to a bluetooth printer.

this is not typically a task for someone's first attempt at an application, but i admire
your courage. there are examples here covering all 4 of the functions
mentioned above. i would definitely tackle them 1 at a time. they can always
be united for a final thrust. pick one to start and search for an example. get it
running. get help for it along the way. choose the next feature and start over.

i think the hardest part will involve the printer. you need to write a minimal app
to see if you can get that one going. there is a library which you attach to your
app (https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/sd-escpos-printer-lan-usb-bluetooth-spp-ble.142512/)
if you can get that one going, the others are easier.
Thank you for your reply,

I realise that it is a big task, especially when I don't have the first clue where to start, but every journey begins with a step and I'm going to have to learn basics and build but what I don't want to do, is invest that time, then find out the end result isn't possible. So thank you :)

the scenario that I am looking to achieve is this. (Ideal situation)

I borrow a phone and take someone's photo, then scan the NFC tag and that photo is sent to my Bluetooth printer, it prints and I can hand it over to the owner of the phone.

I realise that will take a lot to do so my other idea is that I don't borrow a phone and the same is accomplished using my own phone.

I hope that is clearer.

Thank you for the Printer link and all the pointers, you've given me a starting point :) thank you

RDoull

Upvote 0