Share My Creation JG eBeerPressure : fully automated aphrometer

An Aphrometer is a device used to monitor fermentation of sparkling beverages.

I made one to monitor the second "in bottle" fermentation of my home brewing system.

The most difficult thing was to connect the tiny pressure sensor to the bottle... I used some pipes and epoxy glue for this. It works without leakage !

I drilled the cap of a beer bottle and added a tire valve into it.
bottle.jpg

The sensor itself is outputing a DC voltage proportional to the pressure. Using the ADC of an ESP32 MCU was really simple.

sensor.jpg

Finally the APP is writen with... B4A :D
The device sends the values to firebase over Wifi, the App is notified as soon as there is a new point in real time (even in the background, the app closed and the screen off and the phone locked !). There is no need for the phone to be connected to Wifi, a 4G connection works as well (viva firebase :))

Screenshot_20190531-180328.jpg

I do use @Johan Schoeman MPchart library. It does a really good job !

Here is video of the system running :

Last edited:

jmon

Licensed User
Longtime User
But is there a business model for this ? :)
Maybe for tire pressure (Car, bicycle)? Beer pressure seems too much of a niche if you want a wide audience.
I'd use it for my bicycle! Maybe connected to a "fitness app", that tracks your calories, distance ...etc...

edit: But I don't know the beer world, maybe people would need this kind of device for a daily use? Then in that case you should get in contact with beer manufacturers? That's a fantastic work you did!

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
But is there a business model for this ? :)
Probably, but small. I would put the price at something like $49 and drop it to $29 now and then, as a sale. Might seem expensive, but if you're really into this, it's not overly expensive, I think.

freedom2000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe for tire pressure (Car, bicycle)? Beer pressure seems too much of a niche if you want a wide audience.
I'd use it for my bicycle! Maybe connected to a "fitness app", that tracks your calories, distance ...etc...

edit: But I don't know the beer world, maybe people would need this kind of device for a daily use? Then in that case you should get in contact with beer manufacturers? That's a fantastic work you did!

I have updated the packaging for the sensor.
You can now screw it on a "ballon pump needle". The needle being glued into the beer bottle cap.
The sensor itself is now into two copper endcaps glued one into the other.
sensor3.jpg

Finally a valve tire cap is soldered and all this is "nicely" nickel platted !

sensor2.jpg

The result is more professionnal although I still need to package the ESP32 board !

It has also the major advantages to be much stronger than my first proto and to allow bottle cleaning under water whitout damaging the sensor !