Share My Creation JG eVariometer (vertical speed indicator)

Discussion in 'Share Your Creations' started by freedom2000, Apr 28, 2019.

1. freedom2000

freedom2000 Well-Known Member Licensed User

variometer.jpg

Hi,

A friend of mine asked me to design a basic variometer for para gliding.
    He wanted a standalone device "beeping" when climbing.

Here is the prototype (difficult to make more simple..) :
    • an ESP32 Lolin Lite board
    • a BMP280 sensor
    • a 3.3V buzzer

and no solder, no PCB till now :)
    solderless_prototype.jpg

Of course a B4A App as I couldn't resist to design something a little more complicated... But bear in mind that the device really works standalone. The App is totally optionnal and transparent (no interface for binding, all automatic !)
    variometer.jpg
    I took my scooter to ride the 2 roads down/up and back down/up.
    Variation of altitude is displayed in real time, using @Johan Schoeman excellent library

roadtrip.jpg

I have added a menu to open Google Earth and display the track. (thank you @agraham :D)
    The altitude is given @1Hz by the sensor via BLE and lat/Lon by the GPS into the smartphone.
    A parameter allows to tune the altitude and correct the offset between sensor and Google Earth.
    The result is quite impressive. This tiny sensor is really accurate and stable (+- 50cm max).

As you can see, I directly powered the BMP280 with 2 IO pins of the ESP32 It's possible because the BMP only sinks 5µA... + and Gnd are thus provided by 2 IO pins. If I switch them as inputs then the BMP is totally off. This should be nice when the ESP will be in deepsleep to protect the battery !
    Similarly the buzzer is sinking 14mA wich is a little too high for one single IO pin (12 mA max)... so I used 2 pins to drive the buzzer directly and safely.
    The Lolin32 board allows to plug a lipo bat and has a charger embedded (charge it or power it with a 5V USB charger).

As such this design is really my most minimalistic one : (three componants !) and soooooo cheap (<10$) :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    fredo, Alexander Stolte, udg and 6 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice