Java Question Learning Java and Android

ddahan

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4A is a great developing environment. but many times, when libraries are not providing a solution for your needs, you have to dive into Android and write a Java code.
I see that many people are doing this, I'll appreciate your advice about the preferred way to learn Android and Java based on your experience.

Thanks,
David.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My experience: to get a "hello" with Java in Eclipse environment, I need an hour or so (I'm exaggerating, of course).

Even in that you have to use libraries or code to be reused (if you can find it), or to develop a simple app serve 366 days (leap year :)).

Is much more productive (and enjoyable) to develop with B4A, for those who are coming from the Windows world.

socialnetis

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, I have been in the same place about a year ago. I started programing for android using B4A, and in the middle of the road I found that it was really necessary to learn Java to wrap all the libraries I needed on my own. Luckily for me, learning Java was easy, because its a Object-Orientated language and I already knew Python, so I basically just need to learn the syntax of the Java language. After that, learning to program for Android using Java is not really that hard, but its kind of tedious (the more I learned to program Java for Android, the more I loved B4A)

To start with, I strongly suggest to give a look to the Java tutorial from Oracle, HERE. It covers from the concepts of the object-orientated language, to all the syntax of the Java language (you will also learn the concepts of packages, classes, etc) if you are not familiar with it yet.

Then, you should give a look to the android developers page if you want to understand the Android SDK, HERE. There are three section: Design, Develop and Distribute. The design will give you and overview of what's new in every Android version, and teach how to get your app to have the look and feel of and Android app. The develop is where you will fill the documentation and tutorials to get started to program for Android using Java, you should give a look to this section if you want to know how things work under the hood in B4A, and get familiar with the usage of Java for Android, and will also assist you to install eclipse with ADT (wich you will need to create the wrappers for B4A).

Finally, once you are familiar with Java and the Android SDK, creating wrappers its not really that hard, as most of them are just thin wrappers and its very little code you need to write. This tutorial is a must-read tutorial, it will teach you how to create the wrappers for B4A.

I hope some of this advices will help you to get on the road,
Cheers.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
For those who are familiar with other programming languages, Java is not difficult, but I think the speed of development using B4A is higher, unless there are not many libraries ready for Java.

Java certainly has the advantage of OOP, B4A the advantage of being "Basic" and then have the facilities that increase the speed of development.

VB.Net for Windows Phone would be the way most convenient, quick and easy for programmers, but the market is Android.

But the language is not enough: you must know the Android platform, which has advantages and disadvantages when compared with PC (Windows).

Finally, now the programming is probably suited to hobbyists; to earn good money, now we should start to grow potatoes and tomatoes, probably most profitable :)

ddahan

Licensed User
Longtime User
Dear socialnetics and lucaMs, many thanks for your detailed reply. I appreciate your help.
Seems that there is a long interesting way to run with a great fun.
cheers,
David.