B4A Library [Lib] Archiver

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
By courtesy of Djembefola, this library is released as freeware for the benefit of the community. You should send him a big "thank you".

This library provides a basic support for Zip, Tar and Gzip archives (including TarGz). It can compress/uncompress synchronously or asynchronously (one task in the background at a time). This lib doesn't support encryption (but you can use it with encrypted files).

Its use is fairly simple. Examples:
B4X:
Dim Arc As Archiver

Arc.Gzip(File.DirRootExternal, "test2.tar", File.DirRootExternal)
Arc.UnGzip(File.DirRootExternal, "test2.tar.gz", File.DirRootExternal & "/testTARgz2")
Arc.AsyncGzip(File.DirRootExternal & "/media/image", "test.jpg", File.DirRootExternal, "Arc")

Dim m As Map
Try
   m = Arc.ListZipEntries(File.DirRootExternal & "/media/image/Icones", "android-icons.zip")
   For i = 0 To m.Size - 1
      Dim Info(3) As Long
      Info = m.GetValueAt(i)
      Log(m.GetKeyAt(i))
      Log("   Uncompressed size = " & Info(0))
      Log("   Compressed size = " & Info(1))
      Log("   CRC = " & Info(2))
   Next
Catch
   Log(LastException.Message)
End Try
This library is provided as-is and will not be extended to other formats. It uses the JTar library.

Don't forget to credit the authors if you include it in your application:
Frédéric Leneuf-Magaud & Kamran Zafar

v1.11:
I improved the synchronization of asynchronous operations (Async orders can be enqueued now);
The event declarations appear now with Space+Tab in the IDE.*

There's an improved version of this library for Zip files in my ProBundle that supports encryption and decryption.

Attachments

Last edited:

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
A BIG thank you Djembefola! Most kind of you.

...and thanks to Fred for implementing it.

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Thanks.
Small question: how can I archive only a folder content and not including folder name in resulting archive? (I've test it with zip, currently replacing ABZipUnZip library wich have a known bug)
You archive all the files of this folder with ZipFiles.

AscySoft

Licensed User
Why do you work with string array and not just simple with List?

I mean the "InFileNames()" parameter from Archive.ZipFiles is an array of string. In my real life scenario to create an unknow array size is hard(like archive all files in a folder matching a "*.txt" mask...)
It requires (as my current understanding) a lot of work in code.

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Why do you work with string array and not just simple with List?
To create a List, you have to do:
1) Dim L as List
2) L.Initialize
For i = 1 to NbOfFiles
L.Add(...)
Next

To create a dynamic array of strings, you have to do:
1) Dim myArray() As String
2) Dim myArray(NbOfFiles) As String
For i = 1 to NbOfFiles
myArray(i-1) = ...
Next

I can't see a real advantage for the List here.

AscySoft

Licensed User
To create a List, you have to do:
1) Dim L as List
2) L.Initialize
For i = 1 to NbOfFiles
L.Add(...)
Next

To create a dynamic array of strings, you have to do:
1) Dim myArray() As String
2) Dim myArray(NbOfFiles) As String
For i = 1 to NbOfFiles
myArray(i-1) = ...
Next

I can't see a real advantage for the List here.
That's seams correct, but if you don't know the NbOfFiles, with List is easy
1)dim L as List
2) L.Initialize
3) L=File.ListFiles("in a folder")

then.. later on, with L you could do all kind of stuff, sorting, removing, adding, testing , but not easily done with an array object.

Ok, maybe in the scope of your library this was not the case, but please be gentle and advise me on a real situation

HOW to zip all files matching "*.txt" mask from a folder using ZipFiles and not ZipFolder?

Last edited:

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
That's seams correct, but if you don't know the NbOfFiles, with List is easy
To be honest, I don't remember why I chose an array instead of a list. Probably that suited better my code.

HOW to zip all files matching "*.txt" mask from a folder using ZipFiles and not ZipFolder?
Since your question is not related to Archiver, you should ask it in the "Updates & Question" forum because my time is very limited. I wrote a class, File Explorer, that may help you to understand how to retrieve a list of files.

upsis

Licensed User
Crc

Excuse my ignorance, but how do I know if the CRC in ListZipEntries is ok? Thanks in advance.

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Excuse my ignorance, but how do I know if the CRC in ListZipEntries is ok? Thanks in advance.
If the program that zipped the archive has written a wrong CRC, you'll have troubles to unzip. Once written in the archive, this CRC cannot be altered or the archive itself is considered corrupted.