Android Question LOOKING FOR ADVICE - VEHICLE TRACKING

Intelemarketing

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was looking for some advice on developing an app which allows a company to track their vehicles, using Google Maps.
I understand from the Google maps examples how to present a map with a pointer showing a particular location.
The issue is that there may be 1, 10, 100, or even 1000 vehicles that need to be tracked, which presents the problem of how the vehicle's location is to be reported back to base.
A permanent connection back to base from each vehicle/phone is out of the question as there could be too many connections running at the same time, I would think.
I was looking at alternatives - eg, Using FTP to send the location points from each vehicle every few minutes. (Then be monitored by an app at the base which can process each vehicle's location). The downside of this approach is that literally thousands of FTP uploads/downloads will take place every day.

That's the best I can come up with - Just wondering if there may be a better way to do this.

Thanks

TILogistic

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
question:

Will the vehicles have GPS equipment installed?

if your answer is yes.

and you want a free and proven platform for years

see:

or you want to develop a vehicle monitoring platform.

Types of communication of the gps equipment TCP, UDP or HTTP.

See this:

Upvote 0

TILogistic

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
other:

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
An ftp is not required. just have each vehicle at a cadence submit the position to an online database. Affinché to DB the vehicle ID and position other useful information.

Upvote 0

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was looking for some advice on developing an app which allows a company to track their vehicles, using Google Maps.
I understand from the Google maps examples how to present a map with a pointer showing a particular location.
The issue is that there may be 1, 10, 100, or even 1000 vehicles that need to be tracked, which presents the problem of how the vehicle's location is to be reported back to base.
A permanent connection back to base from each vehicle/phone is out of the question as there could be too many connections running at the same time, I would think.
I was looking at alternatives - eg, Using FTP to send the location points from each vehicle every few minutes. (Then be monitored by an app at the base which can process each vehicle's location). The downside of this approach is that literally thousands of FTP uploads/downloads will take place every day.

That's the best I can come up with - Just wondering if there may be a better way to do this.

Thanks
I have experience with GPS in a mining company, over 500+ vehicles, we were showing the trucks and buses in "real time", every 10sec.. on google map (year 2011 :p and not using b4x)

In your case, just send your location to your server using your b4x-app, then the server will do the processing

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TILogistic

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have experience with GPS in a mining company, over 500+ vehicles, we were showing the trucks and buses in "real time", every 10sec.. on google map (year 2011 :p and not using b4x)

In your case, just send your location to your server using your b4x-app, then the server will do the processing
Codelco, Pacific Steel Company, SQM, etc ??

Upvote 0

TILogistic

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
why? just use the phone (I think, it is why the question is here on b4x forum)

Upvote 0

Intelemarketing

Licensed User
Longtime User

This is almost EXACTLY what I am triying to do. How did you send the location to the server using a B4X-App on the phone, please ? Thanks.

Upvote 0

TILogistic

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My experience monitoring the vehicle through the driver's mobile phone has not had good results.

Because?

Drivers do not undertake to use the telephone as a work tool.

Problem:

They stop reporting the location for the following.

1.- No battery
2.- They forget and leave the phone at home.
3.- They manipulate the phones for personal use
4.- etc. etc.

The best results are indirect monitoring through a gps equipment.

Upvote 0

TILogistic

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Upvote 0

TILogistic

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
sample:

This application sends the mobile phone position via HTTP (Post) to a Server.

or you can use JRDC2

1631509913144.png

Upvote 0

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is almost EXACTLY what I am triying to do. How did you send the location to the server using a B4X-App on the phone, please ? Thanks.
In that project we use GSM/GPRS to send the locations using our own GPS and firmware.

A friend of mine he is using a smartphone for buses in public transport.. like this: the App Android send the location via php to the sever, once data/locations are in the data base on the server it can be showed in a PC on Google Map for example.

Upvote 0