Android Question LOOKING FOR ADVICE - VEHICLE TRACKING

Intelemarketing

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was looking for some advice on developing an app which allows a company to track their vehicles, using Google Maps.
I understand from the Google maps examples how to present a map with a pointer showing a particular location.
The issue is that there may be 1, 10, 100, or even 1000 vehicles that need to be tracked, which presents the problem of how the vehicle's location is to be reported back to base.
A permanent connection back to base from each vehicle/phone is out of the question as there could be too many connections running at the same time, I would think.
I was looking at alternatives - eg, Using FTP to send the location points from each vehicle every few minutes. (Then be monitored by an app at the base which can process each vehicle's location). The downside of this approach is that literally thousands of FTP uploads/downloads will take place every day.

That's the best I can come up with - Just wondering if there may be a better way to do this.

Thanks

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
We want to use a Classic SmartPhone for tracking GPS locations. I have had some success by creating an FTP connection and sending back a small document with PhoneNo, GPS Co-Ordinates, and DateTime Stamp. Logically it seems to work, until the phone goes to sleep and the app seems to stop. I have created my own FTP Site using FileZilla Server which is interesting, to say the least. (Had a few attacks from Ukraine and China trying to log into my FTP Server, only a day or two after I got it working - Is this normal ? ). But I continue to work through these little challenges. Thanks for your comprehensive reply !

Is normal/frequent, unfortunately
You can try to set a different port for ftp server

Upvote 0

maleche

Licensed User
Longtime User
GREAT conversations! Keep it up. I need to build the same GPS tracking for Drones!
thank you!

Upvote 0

labcold

Licensed User
Longtime User
Which device for tracking position?
Classic smartphone o specific tracking device?

watch.jpg

This is one of our devices - basic vanilla android 7.1.1 - but we can run on anything from Android 5 upwards - there are several formats of device including waterproof circular ones as well as this Apple lookalike. I also run on mobile phones and android POS terminals and the code also has PC (B4J) versions.

Upvote 0

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
View attachment 119641
This is one of our devices - basic vanilla android 7.1.1 - but we can run on anything from Android 5 upwards - there are several formats of device including waterproof circular ones as well as this Apple lookalike. I also run on mobile phones and android POS terminals and the code also has PC (B4J) versions.

Very very interesting
Where we can find a description and tech spec. of this and other devices?

Upvote 0

labcold

Licensed User
Longtime User
Very very interesting
Where we can find a description and tech spec. of this and other devices?
I buy from LEMFO in China (http://www.lemfo.com/) - I use LEM8,9 and 10 mostly - they will bespoke the units if you order enough. But as I say any Android 5+ device with GPS can be used in my system plus soon an ESP32 using the Lilygo Twatch will be added. If all you need is tracking then using the lillygo esp32 bloc with gps and cellular modules might be a cheaper option for you (https://www.banggood.com/LILYGO-TTG...eft-hotproducts&cur_warehouse=GWTR&ID=6300912). There are some great cases like DIN rail and so on that you can make a good looking product OTS. Programming can be done in B4R for compatibility but there are issues with AES and other parts of the system in B4R so in fact we moved to Arduino (sorry Erel :( ) however everything else in is B4X!.

However, its not really the target that is the issue, its how you manage cell communications as most 3G and 4G connections are troublesome due to the way carriers limit long term connections, believe me its not rational at all! It all depends on what interval you REALLY need plus if you want to then be able to interact with the target you have to keep the return channels open and active. Also as has been mentioned there is an issue of our Chinese and Russian friends forcing their way into UDP/HTTP/TCP connections which caused horrible issues until we had a hardwired firewall and very strict whitelist policy in place (we got upto 100K attempts per day at one point in the first year!).

I use MQTT (they hacked that as well btw as did a prominent US university in the guise of 'teaching') but as I encrypt everything AES256 they only can ghost messages and as time is included in each message then i can trach anything that's not real. I tried a wide range of protocols over a year getting to this point and I can say easily that MQTT is the most reliable and flexible for this - I even stream audio over MQTT in emergency!

I have three effective systems which are all compatible - but one is WiFi with Cell backup, one Cell data with SMS backup and one SMS only. All report location 24*7 at between 1 and 15 min intervals from augmented GPS.

If you wish to discuss further (remembering that this is a commercial system I sell and therefore I cant share everything) I am happy of you want to pm me [email protected] or I can share bits on the forum.

Upvote 0

Situ LLC

Licensed User
Buenas amigos siguiendo con el asunto de localizacion vehicular hay un codigo abierto llamado www.traccar.org el cual te permite bajar todo el paquete e instalarlo en widows o algun server externo que tengas por ahi, lo configuras y pones a funcionar. Viene toda la informacion como hacerlo. Luego de tenerlo intalado puede bajar una app que vienen ahi mismo sitio en downloads y puede instalar en androide y en IOS las cuales te permiten utilizar tu movil.
Ademas de eso trae una cantidad de posibles soluciones disponinbles en el mercado como GPS que se inntalan en cualquier vehiculo. A todo esto es facil la verdad hace sosas maravillosas como seguimiento , alarmas , Geocercas ect.

Ademas de eso trae ejemplos como poddemos utilizar con algunos cambios incliur al codigo B4A el envio de datos desde tu movil a la plataforma asi pudiendo desarrollar aplicaciones con seguimeinto en tiempo real para tablets o moviles.

Yo desarrolle mi propia libreria y trabaja de maravillas . La agrego a mi app en B4A con poco codigo ya esta se conecta al mi plataforma
Espero que le sirva el tips,

CLiente de descarga

1635463677711.png

Upvote 0