Make it Simple, but significant...

Multiverse app

Licensed User
Longtime User
Being a young developer (19 to be precise), I am obsessed with design and UI. I love B4A, but I think that we, the developers here can do so much more in design and UI, we just don't pay much attention to it. The design is no longer seen as just crafting UI elements or even product experiences.

And so, We've had a talented designer help us craft a beautiful concept of one of our apps-
30726785_2077576839154590_2298919728090972160_n.jpg

I would love to bring the above concept live entirely in B4A, and show off its capabilities.

Hope this encourages all to prioritize design a little more in their projects. There are 3 responses to design – yes, no, and WOW! Wow is the one to aim for!

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you want to share, make a library and publish it so others can take advantage of the same graphics and improve the quality of the GUI

Multiverse app

Licensed User
Longtime User
If you want to share, make a library and publish it so others can take advantage of the same graphics and improve the quality of the GUI
Nice idea. I don't have any experience in creating libraries, but I will surely start trying now.

Emme Developer

Licensed User
Longtime User
the developers here can do so much more in design and UI, we just don't pay much attention to it.
I think that the most important thing in a professional app is the UI and UX. Generally, we made applications for other people, so the applications need to be "nice" and easy to use, as the UI is the first thing that an user see.

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think that the most important thing in a professional app is the UI and UX. Generally, we made applications for other people, so the applications need to be "nice" and easy to use, as the UI is the first thing that an user see.
Couldn't agree more, the UI is also 90% of the decision for a user to download your app. If it looks like an old Android 1.6 app from years ago, then they'll not bother, assuming its terrible. A nice clean design can make a huge difference in user opinion prior to downloading.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Couldn't agree more, the UI is also 90% of the decision for a user to download your app. If it looks like an old Android 1.6 app from years ago, then they'll not bother, assuming its terrible. A nice clean design can make a huge difference in user opinion prior to downloading.
I agree even if it does not like it .. Often users download applications only on the basis of graphics. Even if they are limited compared to others, with less features or often with important bugs.

Often the developer becomes marginal compared to the graph. Informatic is born to automate and help the user in technical operations, must not entertain, is not television (except for specific Apps like YouTube or similar). Today, in reality, even management or administrative applications seem to respond to the interface parameters of the entertainment apps.

Unfortunately it is a reality that can not be ignored, but I have learned to develop with green phosphor monitors, I do not digest just that the graphics should be the winning ticket and should not be the completeness of the app

Emme Developer

Licensed User
Longtime User
I agree even if it does not like it .. Often users download applications only on the basis of graphics. Even if they are limited compared to others, with less features or often with important bugs.

Often the developer becomes marginal compared to the graph. Informatic is born to automate and help the user in technical operations, must not entertain, is not television (except for specific Apps like YouTube or similar). Today, in reality, even management or administrative applications seem to respond to the interface parameters of the entertainment apps.

Unfortunately it is a reality that can not be ignored, but I have learned to develop with green phosphor monitors, I do not digest just that the graphics should be the winning ticket and should not be the completeness of the app
There are different kind of app, and different kind of developers. If an application has an huge ratio of download, then this doesn't mean that the application is a good application. If you are developing a db manager, or a gestional software for some companies, then of course there are some things that are more important that UI. Informatic is bord to automate and help the user of course, but there are many differences between today and some times ago. Just think about Apple and their products: iPhone is not a simple smartphone, it is a very distinctive design element. Today an application goal is not to automate task, an app today is an experience for users

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There are different kind of app, and different kind of developers. If an application has an huge ratio of download, then this doesn't mean that the application is a good application. If you are developing a db manager, or a gestional software for some companies, then of course there are some things that are more important that UI. Informatic is bord to automate and help the user of course, but there are many differences between today and some times ago. Just think about Apple and their products: iPhone is not a simple smartphone, it is a very distinctive design element. Today an application goal is not to automate task, an app today is an experience for users
The question is not that the times have changed, the user basin has changed. From the professional to the generic user. The professional looks at the result and the functionality, the general user looks at having many colors and that the use of the app is a better experience, even if the app does not perform any useful function. In fact, the many downloads are for games.
So the market has changed.

Obviously developing for mobile devices means tapping into a non-professional but generic user.

Lonstwsson for those who sell personal computers, many years ago the customer was the company that buys a PC to be able to invoice and use a management system, today the kid who has to run Need for Speed.

I am widening too much, but I think I have expressed my thoughts.

:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A real situation...

Two years ago I bought a microwave oven... very nice looking...
Got home, unpacked it and put it through its paces... no less than 4 different UI procedures needed just to warmup some food... way over too complicated... beautifully complicated.
This is the hard part... make it beautifully simple

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Buy a stone oven, it's easier to use :p