iOS Question Map does not appear sometimes in Google Maps App

aminoacid

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello All,
I have an B4i app that uses Google Maps similar to the example in the Tutorial. Works fine... when I run it I get the map in the background and the markers, etc. However once-in-a-while after I build the App, the map background is missing.... just a white screen with the markers and my current location (blue dot). This happens both in debug and release mode. I can kill the app and run it again or recompile and run and still not get the map. Then maybe the next day, or several hours(or minutes) later if I compile and run it, the App works fine (map appears). I know for sure it's not a network issue with my phone as I checked that first. I am running B4I V4.4 and iOS V10.3.3 on an iPhone SE. Seems like a build issue to me.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Thank you!

Last edited:

aminoacid

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, that's the first thing I checked.... the API is enabled. I did not think it was related to the API not being enabled otherwise the map would not appear at all. It seems to be an intermittent problem in the build process and not with Google Maps. Also noticed that the blue "my location" dot appears as a broken-up graphic sometimes also after the build process. It seems there is a inconsistency in the build process. Just wondering if anyone else has similar "intermittent" problems building an App with Google Maps.

Thanks for you suggestion, though!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aminoacid

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, I double checked that. Also, the problem occurs if I use a local build server or the hosted one.

It's not a big deal since it will compile into a working App after several build tries.... just a minor annoyance and I'm curious to know why there is such a inconsistency especially when nothing in the code has changed.

Upvote 0

aminoacid

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just want to update this thread since I found out what the problem was and the information could be useful to others.....

I was incorrect in my #5 comment above. The problem occurred only on my local Mac build server and NOT on the hosted server. As per the instructions I had dowloaded and installed "GoogleMaps.framework" in the Libs folder from the link specified in the instructions. It happened to be V2.5.0 at the time. As mentioned above, everything worked fine except for intermittent build problems with no map showing up and especially with the Blue "my Location" dot appearing distorted. So I dowloaded this version of the framework from the following link:

www.b4x.com/b4i/files/GoogleMaps.framework.zip

and replaced the framework in Libs and the problem was resolved. I don't know what version framework this is but the files are dated April 25, 2017 so it's probably an older version. I just noticed that V2.6.0 of the framework is now available and if I have some time I'll see if that works. But for now since everything is working fine, I'm sticking to the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" :)

Upvote 0