Android Question Map, location services and directions without Google Play Services

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
For a new app I need a map like Google Maps or OSMDroid and a location service (get the users location permanently).

The problem ist that the target device does not have any Google Play Services installed. So I think that Google Maps and FusedLocationProvider won't work.

I currently play with OSMDroid. The library is quite old and I think @warwound has no time to further develop it. It seems to work even on my Android 9 device so I can test the app. The target device is Android 4.2.2 and so it should run there too without any problems.
The latest Beta of @warwound's OSMDroid library is version 4.1 if I understand. The Base OSMDroid is currently 6.0.3.

Are there other alternatives for a map? OSMDroid has a location service built in as I can see so it should be quite easy to create my basic app.

Is anybody still using OSMDroid in a current app? Is it still reliable?

Optionally I will need routing capabilities. Since most direction APIs are quite restricted (You can only use Google Directions API if you display the result on a Google Map, others are the same). My current favorite candidate for this is OpenRouteService. Anyone used it in an Android app?

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
(You can only use Google Directions API if you display the result on a Google Map
It is a REST Api. No matter where you display the Info xou get through this Api. you can display it without showing a Map at all.
Or did i misunderstood something?

Upvote 0

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It is a REST Api. No matter where you display the Info xou get through this Api. you can display it without showing a Map at all.
Or did i misunderstood something?
Yes, technically it works. The problem is that according to their terms and conditions if you want to display the path on a map it MUST be a Google Map.

Upvote 0

drgottjr

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
For a new app I need a map like Google Maps or OSMDroid and a location service (get the users location permanently).

The problem ist that the target device does not have any Google Play Services installed. So I think that Google Maps and FusedLocationProvider won't work.

I currently play with OSMDroid. The library is quite old and I think @warwound has no time to further develop it. It seems to work even on my Android 9 device so I can test the app. The target device is Android 4.2.2 and so it should run there too without any problems.
The latest Beta of @warwound's OSMDroid library is version 4.1 if I understand. The Base OSMDroid is currently 6.0.3.

Are there other alternatives for a map? OSMDroid has a location service built in as I can see so it should be quite easy to create my basic app.

Is anybody still using OSMDroid in a current app? Is it still reliable?

Optionally I will need routing capabilities. Since most direction APIs are quite restricted (You can only use Google Directions API if you display the result on a Google Map, others are the same). My current favorite candidate for this is OpenRouteService. Anyone used it in an Android app?

I think you'd be quite surprised at what you can do with a webview, leaflet and your choice of a number of routers and geocoders. if the device has a gps unit, you can geolocate and track. google's fusedlocationprovider can be better (thanks to its cache of cell towers and wifi locations), but once user is en route, google is using the gps in any case. plus there are non-google tower/hotspot location providers available.

except where otherwise stated by the service providers, no restrictions beyond normal abuse of services clauses for any of the above.

one caveat: if your app turns into the next google maps, you will find you have to start paying for some, if not all of the resources.

Upvote 0