Android Question Means of communicating between Android devices

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a HUB in my car running Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) and I am trying to find ways of communicating with it (exchanging data), preferably P2P, using a modern Android device. I believe some options are actually present in the HUB (at least supported by Jelly Beans) but probably disabled since I cannot find relative settings in the Menu.

These are the ways of communicating I know about although probably some won't work.

1) Bluetooth works (both ways - that is good - already tested)
2) it has Wifi and it can connect to my smartphone if I open a Wifi Hotspot. But can I use this to exchange data?
3) I have a HUAWEI USB Dongle E8372 in the car. It accepts multiple WIFI connections at the same time. Both the HUB and the Phone can connect to it. Haven't checked it yet, but hopefully it assigns ip-addresses to connected devices like as in a LAN. If yes, I believe I should be able to use Network+ASyncStream+B4XSerializor.
4) MirrorLink. It is supposed to work with my HUB but apparently it is not always working with all devices. In addition, this may be a closed protocol and I might not be able to use it.
5) Wifi-Direct should be supported with Jelly Bean but I cannot see any related settings in the HUB (probably disabled).
6) NFC - doubt there is support for it in the HUB (believe it is hardware-related)
7) Connecting using a USB-cable. The HUB can surely read data from the USB-port and I guess also data since MirrorLink requires a cable connection. Can I use this to create a two-way directional communication between the devices?
8) Using a server in the middle exchanging data via Internet. This should work.

Are there any other ways to exchange data?
Any comments to my statements/questions above?

Many thanks in advance for your input.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
it has Wifi and it can connect to my smartphone if I open a Wifi Hotspot. But can I use this to exchange data?
Why not?

The HUB can surely read data from the USB-port and I guess also data since MirrorLink requires a cable connection. Can I use this to create a two-way directional communication between the devices?
It will be difficult. If you it supports USB debugging then you can connect it to a PC.

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hmm....do you think I would be able to get hold of the respective ip-addresses through code and then set up a communication channel using the Network+ASyncStream+B4XSerializor method?

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Interesting.
If I can get that to work, then I have already tackled 30% of my next project.
Thanks.

Upvote 0