1. Black Friday Sale - 50% off

B4A Standard for $29 instead of $59!
    Buy Now
    Dismiss Notice

Merging agraham libraries with the exe

Discussion in 'Additional Libraries' started by agraham, May 27, 2008.

1. agraham

agraham Expert Licensed User

As you all know version 6.3 can merge libraries into the final exe for optimised compiled apps. This is achieved by having the source code for the dll in the Basic4ppc Desktop\Libraries folder. I have been considering how to make my libraries available for merging if required.

I have decided that rather than trying to publish all the sources at once I will do it in response to specific requests. This will let me ensure, on an individual library basis, that the sources will bear correct version info and will in fact merge correctly. It will also let me post the source in the appropriate thread to maintain a single point of access to each library and its' correctly versioned source code.

Therefore please post specific requests for library source to this thread. I reserve the right to not post source if :-

a) It won't correctly merge.
    or
    b) I don't want or can't be bothered to :)

2. LineCutter

LineCutter Active Member Licensed User

I'll get in first with a request for the chartsDesktop.dll It's been bugging me, just a little, that this is the only dll in one of my current projects that's not neatly merged into the exe.
    (I'm targeting not very computer literate users, so the less confusion in the program directory the better)

Thanks for the offer (& the work it'll cost you). :sign0188:

3. taximania

taximania Well-Known Member Licensed User

Thanks for sharing that :)

I take it they must be C code .cs files
    I just tried a Vb.Net .vb file and it didn't work :(

4. agraham

I'm afaraid so. Optimising compile invokes the C# compiler to compile both the B4PPC code translated to C# and the dll source code.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  5. agraham

You would ask for that one wouldn't you :sign0137:

I'm afraid that is one of the ones that comes under (b). As one of the more complicated libraries it consists of 34 separate source files and putting them altogether into a single source file that compiles correctly is a task that I don't want to even try. :sign0013:

ChartsDevice is similarly complicated and so also not a candidate for merging. Threading may or may not work for a different, technical, reason - I haven't tried merging it yet. All the others are probably OK but I will try them as and when requested.

6. Elrick

Elrick Member Licensed User

Hello agraham. I've tried to merge Threading lib like it wrote here: http://www.basic4ppc.com/forum/code-samples-tips/1220-combine-dlls-into-one.html?highlight=merging. It was merged, but didn't work properly (it causes an error). It was a long time ago, so i don't remember the details... But this library is the main for me, i can't imagine how to use b4ppc without it ;) and also it is the only one library what can't be merged in my program... So what do you think about trying to merge this lib?

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  7. agraham

8. Elrick

Elrick Member Licensed User

:sign0060::sign0060: I took a red marker and drawn a circle around this day in calendar - today is the day, when my program became fully standalone, without any additional libraries:sign0188:

9. agraham

OK. So it's been p*ss*ng down with rain all day, the road outside is a river and although we are opening our garden to the public for the village garden trail in ten days we can't get out to do any meaningful preparation :(

I'm bored so I have tested and posted the source for the most obvious candidates for merging. Collections, Exceptions, FilesEx, StringsEx, Threading and WebBrowser. See their respective threads.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  10. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

Thank you agraham :sign0188:

11. LineCutter

LineCutter Active Member Licensed User

LOL :). I can quite understand.

{I give it 2 days, max, if it carries on raining like it has been ;)}

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice