iOS Question Minimal hardware requirements for B4i development

semar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,
I'm developing an App for Android. The customer would like to have the same app available for iOS.

I'm not going to publish either the Android app nor the iOS one on the store, it will only provided from the customers Website.

The questions:
1) in order to develop an App on iOS just for private deployment, I guess I do not have to pay any fee to Apple, do I ?
2) could you suggest a second-hand and cheap IPhone to test the App on ? Would for example an IPhone 4 32Gb good enough ?
3) could you suggest a second-hand and cheap Mac in order to develop the App on it ? Would for example an Apple Mac Mini with i5 suffice ?

I don't need a stellar-performance device, but neither a miserable one !

Thanks in advance,
Sergio

Last edited:

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
For iPhone I would try to find at least a 2nd hand iPhone 5.

A macmini is fine. I have a macmini late 2012 with i3. I only added some more RAM. As long as you can run xcode with at least El Capitan, I think you should be fine.

Upvote 0

semar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Monster67.

What's about my question n. 1 ?

Since I'm totally new in the Mac world, what is El Capitan, and how can I ensure that it runs on a mac ? Since you own a macmini, I guess it would work.
Does a macmini already come with an O.S. or should be buyed separately ?
A valid alternative to a macmini late 2012 - which costs about 500 Euros second hand - could be a MacBook Pro ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

semar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks, but I still don't get the whole picture and I feel a bit confused.

The compilation process requires a Mac computer. You can either use a local Mac computer or use our Hosted Mac Builder service (currently costs $26 per year). Note that if you use a local Mac computer then you can develop with the iOS simulator which does not require an Apple developer account.

What I need to know is, which are the requirements in order to deploy an App onto an iPhone. I don't want to publish anything yet on the Apple App Store.

A) - If I use a Mac, can I deploy the App on the iOS Smartphone via USB cable or via B4X Bridge, as I do actually with an Android ?
B) - If I don't use a Mac, how can I deploy on the iPhone the App compiled with the hosted Mac Builder ?

I read from the requirements page that in case (A), an Apple developer account is needed.
In case B, what confuses me, is that is stated that I can develop with the iOS Simulator. But then again, how can I deploy the compiled app on the iPhone ?

Please clarify.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
You need to have a developer account if you want to develop with a real device. It works with both local builders or the hosted builder.

Development process is identical whether you use a local builder or a hosted builder. The app is installed on the device over the local network or internet and the IDE connects to the running app over the local network.

In case B, what confuses me, is that is stated that I can develop with the iOS Simulator.
No. The only way to use the simulator is with a local builder.

Upvote 0

semar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Erel, I now know a bit more on the Topic.
No. The only way to use the simulator is with a local builder.
Ops ! - Yes you are right, I meant the option (A), the one with the Mac.

If I use the hosted builder, do I become - after the code-compiling from the hosted builder - an APK for iOS which I can then put on a Website and let the users to download and install on other iOS devices ?
Can I install the provided iOS compiled binary on an iPhone using an USB cable ?
I mean: Windows PC--> B4i IDE --> Hosted Builder --> App via USB cable will be installed on the device. Is this the workflow ?
I read that I would also need a certificate and provisioning profile..?

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
You need to start with these tutorials:
https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/creating-a-certificate-and-provisioning-profile.45880/
https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/installing-b4i-bridge-and-debugging-first-app.45871/

I mean: Windows PC--> B4i IDE --> Hosted Builder --> App via USB cable will be installed on the device. Is this the workflow ?
The app is installed over the air.

You can distribute your app to devices listed in the provision profile (there could be up to 100 devices).
[tool] OTA Deployer - Easily distribute your app to beta testers

Upvote 0