B4J Question Missing JavaFX? Problems with editing GUI forms

Doug Johnson

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am a previous VB6 developer. I installed B4J according to the instructions provided so I could try out the software. The install seems to have taken place with no issues and I am able to open and run various examples

I pulled up the example ThreePages. I can't seem to view the GUI forms for this project. If I "Open External Designer" The form displays but it does not have anything on it and is blank.

If I click on "Scene Builder Layouts (FXML)" The only option I have is to "Create New Layout", so there are no forms to select for editing. If I try to create a new one Windows (8.1) opens a dialog letting me know I don't have an app installed to handle FXML files and offers to help me find one to install.

If I run the project, the forms do run and have content and the program runs as designed.

What am I missing? How is this thing supposed to work? It looks like I have two options for building a GUI form (but they don't seem to work for what ever reason) is that correct? Are there any general walk through videos showing the flow of program design with this product for new users?

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Moved to the questions forum.

We will soon have video tutorials.

You need to choose Open Internal Designer and then load one of the layout files.

SS-2015-09-16_08.50.17.png

Upvote 0

Doug Johnson

Licensed User
Longtime User
Got it. Thanks for the info.

What about my question on the JavaFX Scene Builder? Is this tool also available for building a GUI form?
[If I click on "Scene Builder Layouts (FXML)" The only option I have is to "Create New Layout", so there are no forms to select for editing. If I try to create a new one Windows (8.1) opens a dialog letting me know I don't have an app installed to handle FXML files and offers to help me find one to install.]

Upvote 0

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Got it. Thanks for the info.

What about my question on the JavaFX Scene Builder? Is this tool also available for building a GUI form?
[If I click on "Scene Builder Layouts (FXML)" The only option I have is to "Create New Layout", so there are no forms to select for editing. If I try to create a new one Windows (8.1) opens a dialog letting me know I don't have an app installed to handle FXML files and offers to help me find one to install.]

You can still use the scene builder although I think it is advised more to use the internal designer now.

You have to download and install the scene builder, which is now harder than it should be. The developers of scene builder have now moved the project to the OpenJFX project which basically means it's only available as uncompiled source code. There are a few sites that offer the compiled version. Once I managed to get it installed and then I clicked new layout, Windows still didn't recognise it so I had to select it in the dialog.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can use the Gluon version from here http://gluonhq.com/open-source/scene-builder/
Use the msi installer.
In the B4J ide, click designer>scenebuilder>new layout - windows will complain as it can't find it, just point it to the scenebuilder application.
On win 10 it puts it in C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\SceneBuilder directory

Hope it helps.

Upvote 0