Android Question Move project - change apk output dir

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
I decided to move my project files from my hdd to my ssd and found that the apk output dir is still set to the old folder.

To reproduce this:

Create a project: D:\Android\Project1
Move it somewhere else: C:\Dev\Android\Project1
Open the project from the new dir and compile it.
You will find the apk in the previous output dir: D:\Android\Project1\Objects,
not the new one: C:\Dev\Android\Project1\Objects.

I think the output dir setting isn`t being transferred when the project is moved.

How can I fix this?

Thanks,
Mike.

Ok, I`m officially an idiot. I`d been opening the project by clicking recent items in the start menu. I should have checked I was opening the right one! Apologies :embarrassed:

Last edited:

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
I see. I havent moved mine, so I was wondering if I should.
To be honest I think I bought the wrong SSD :( the Evo 840 has issues.

I have a OCZ petrol (Win7) and Sandisk (OSX), both only 128gb and both doing their job extremely well.

Upvote 0

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
How much faster is a compile?

Did you install all the components (Java, etc.) on the SSD, too?

Yes, everything that takes a while to load is now on my ssd. Its hard to say HOW MUCH faster but its faster.

Upvote 0

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hey @thedesolatesoul there's nothing absolutely nothing wrong with the 840 series. Did you know that Samsung are the only SSD manufacturers that are capable of making their own SSD without the help of our side companies, even IBM have to buy in memory as they don't manufactory memory themselves, Samsung manufactory everything themselves.

Anyway, I have 2 840 1TB SSD's, 1 840 500GB and a 830 500GB, and they are stupid fast :).

Example, my Samsung i7 laptop with original 1TB HDD took about 50 seconds to boot ready to load VS2013, and VS2013 look about 30-40 seconds to assemble my biggest project. With SSD which I've been using for almost 2 years now, my Samsung i7 laptop boots and is ready to start loading VS2013 in about 12 seconds from power on, and VS2013 only takes about 10 seconds to assemble my biggest project which is SISE which has well over 35k lines of code.

Actually I've just upgraded the laptop from the 830 to the 840 due to a project that I have to do using a MSSQL database which is about 403GB in size, yes you read that correctly.

If you look through my long G+ stream you will see my chats about the SSD's and last year I did some comparison test by cloning the SSD onto a 1TB HDD and doing some timing tests just because I was bored.

I also upgraded my Samsung R series laptop with an 830 SSD and it has now got a new lease of life too, no need to buy a new laptop, I just swapped out the HDD for a SSD and it became a whole new machine. My old HDD are now on my wireless backup system now and my laptops and computer are running Samsung SSD's with 3 years guarantees :)

Samsung even gives you free HDD cloning software that clones any SSD or HDD into their Samsung drives so you don't lose any information from your previous drives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@KMatle a lot faster, trust me on that one. And if like you you have large VS2013 projects then it really puts a smile on your face. I absolutely hate sitting around waiting for projects to compile. Both Photoshop and Android Studio only takes about 3-4 seconds to first load, trust me when I say that's fast. It does not make much of a difference in B4A though, well I don't think that it does anyway, but I could be wrong with that one as my test last years was too close to tell so my B4A speed tests were inconclusive. But put an SSD in a PS4 and wow, what a difference it makes...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok, I did a quick test. I compiled from ssd and from hdd and got these results. Bear in mind teh sdk is on my ssd. If it had been on the hdd I`m sure you`ll see from this little example there would have been a bigger difference.

HDD:

hdd.PNG

SSD:

ssd.PNG

It puzzles me why the install to device (Genymotion) was slower.

Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hey @thedesolatesoul there's nothing absolutely nothing wrong with the 840 series. Did you know that Samsung are the only SSD manufacturers that are capable of making their own SSD without the help of our side companies, even IBM have to buy in memory as they don't manufactory memory themselves, Samsung manufactory everything themselves.

Anyway, I have 2 840 1TB SSD's, 1 840 512GB and a 830 512GB, and they are stupid fast :).
Well here is my read benchmark: Benchmark
15mzig9.jpg

As you can see some parts of my drive have degraded. It should have been a consistent > 400Mbps.
What does yours look like?

Maybe I'm paranoid but I was going by THIS

I know samsung manufacture their own NAND but that doesnt mean anything. It means that Samsung can come out with products on the bleeding edge quicker than others, and that also means there can be more issues. Overall the 840 Evo (non-Pro) version is much different from any other of Samsungs SSDs. (Nitty Gritty Source)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hmm are you use Samsung Magician for managing your SSD drive and updating your SSD firmware?
I will admit it, I only have my SSD OS optimisation settings set to Maximum reliability and not set to Maximum performance @thedesolatesoul. The speed increase is already x times faster than my Samsung 1TB HDD, I also have SSD Over Provisioning setup as well.

Hmm I never knew that there were any issues with the 840 SSD's.

Here you go, as you can see from the bottom of the screen, my settings are set to reliability and not performance. As I said previously, Windows 8.1 is showing my desktop from power on in about 12 seconds (fast boot on) from power on (as long as there's no Windows 8.1 updates to install). That's more than good enough for me and that's without screen shots and diagnostics to show every little performance issue.

Nope I'm more than happy with my 840 and 830 drives. The most important thing to me is real world performance, and my SSD's are a load faster on average than my fasted HDD.
Untitled-1.jpg

Upvote 0

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I know samsung manufacture their own NAND but that doesnt mean anything. It means that Samsung can come out with products on the bleeding edge quicker than others, and that also means there can be more issues. Overall the 840 Evo (non-Pro) version is much different from any other of Samsungs SSDs. (Nitty Gritty Source)

Yes I know, it's just interesting information that not many people actually know, but it's factually correct.

I've been running Samsung SSD's for almost 2 years now. My main laptop is on at least 15 hours per day, 6 days a week even if I'm not using it at the time, My laptop is on and I don't have power saving switched on either, the screen just turns off nothing else. I've never had any NAND issues whatsoever, my 830 is still running 100% with no errors at all.

I'm more than happy with the performance and I just can't complain about something that I can't find any issues with. Sequential read could be faster according to my screen shot, but in the real world compared to a standard HDD or even a Hybrid SSHD(at first boot and on average) it's blisteringly fast :)

It's time for a quick 8 mile bike ride, so I'll catch y'all shortly.

I'll be back...

Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hmm are you use Samsung Magician for managing your SSD drive and updating your SSD firmware?
I will admit it, I only have my SSD OS optimisation settings set to Maximum reliability and not set to Maximum performance @thedesolatesoul. The speed increase is already x times faster than my Samsung 1TB HDD, I also have SSD Over Provisioning setup as well.

Hmm I never knew that there were any issues with the 840 SSD's.

Here you go, as you can see from the bottom of the screen, my settings are set to reliability and not performance. As I said previously, Windows 8.1 is showing my desktop from power on in about 12 seconds (fast boot on) from power on (as long as there's no Windows 8.1 updates to install). That's more than good enough for me and that's without screen shots and diagnostics to show every little performance issue.

Nope I'm more than happy with my 840 and 830 drives. The most important thing to me is real world performance, and my SSD's are a load faster on average than my fasted HDD.
Yes, I am using Samsung Magician and it is set to Maximum Performance. I also have RAPID on, and SSD Overprovisioning.
My FW version is EXT0CB6Q

This is what SM reports for me:SM
nfofue.jpg

The numbers look crazy right? Thats because of RAPID, that allows your SSD to take 1GB of your RAM to cache SSD data. I think ill turn RAPID off because it is stupid.

Anyway, so I went to http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/uk/html/support/downloads.html and downloaded "Samsung 840 EVO Performance Restoration Software". I ran the tool and re-ran the HDTrac benchmarks.
Now I get this
2rn7zb8.jpg

Much closer to the promised 400Mbps.

I agree real world performance is more important than benchmarks, but I never really felt a great performance improvement with my SSD so maybe this particular component is just not that great.

Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0