Wish msgbox crashes - please disabile it

vangogh

Licensed User
Longtime User
As the use of msgbox make the app crashes, it should be definitely disabled

-OR- (better)

it could be INTERNALLY replaced with
msgboxasync + waif for msgbox_result

- if by mistake I use a msgbox or msgbox2 (available, permitted by the ide), the app will crash on Android13 with no error. it closes without saying anything.

- if by mystake I forget a "wait for", the app will not wait for my click

same for numberdialog

same for doevents -> sleep(0) (?)

thank you

i am converting from an old program to the 12.5 ide, it tooks lots of time

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
doevents -> sleep(0)
DoeEvents is not synonymous with Sleep(0). They have different behaviour. DoEvents is synchronous and pumps the message loop before proceeding with the following code. Sleep(0) is asynchronous and returns from the Sub to the message loop immediately and the following code is scheduled to run at a later time.

Msgbox, DoEvents and other synchronous dialogs used a synchronous mechanism designed by Erel in the early days of Android as Android, by design unlike Windows, does not implement synchronous waits while letting the message loop run. Unfortunately over the years the Android message loop handling has become more complex and as a result Erel's synchronous mechanisms is now flaky - hence, Msgbox, DoEvents and all the synchronous dialogs are deprecated but available in case of need for backward compatibility.

vangogh

Licensed User
Longtime User
DoeEvents is not synonymous with Sleep(0). They have different behaviour. DoEvents is synchronous and pumps the message loop before proceeding with the following code. Sleep(0) is asynchronous and returns from the Sub to the message loop immediately and the following code is scheduled to run at a later time.

Msgbox, DoEvents and other synchronous dialogs used a synchronous mechanism designed by Erel in the early days of Android as Android, by design unlike Windows, does not implement synchronous waits while letting the message loop run. Unfortunately over the years the Android message loop handling has become more complex and as a result Erel's synchronous mechanisms is now flaky - hence, Msgbox, DoEvents and all the synchronous dialogs are deprecated but available in case of need for backward compatibility.
Ok thanks.

this post can be removed, if you like. I got my answers :)