Share My Creation My school project (Basic4Web?)

EDIT: This is a school project. I would never actually create it, but my hopes is that the people here will.

Hello! I have been using B4A and B4J for a few years now. The only thing that disappoints me is that there is no B4Web development environment. I have used XOJO before, but it is pretty expensive, its not an actual translation, and it requires a live server to operate the client. For my school project I am trying to make a small preview of how easy it could be to make a B4Web, and maybe it will be made? Yesterday, I made an important part of my project; the control designer. I kind of tried to copy B4X designer, but I did a bad job at doing so and will have to spend more than 2 hours working on it.

2sakz10.png

I haven't spent much time on it so I don't have a working properties panel or anything like that. But the controls are fully copy and past-able, drag-able, size-able (from all directions), and editable. There is a .net live viewer, but i used real .net controls for it, and not just a web browser preview for testing.

jgtmp3.png

This created a small problem for me; sizing the labels and other controls properly, but i'm gonna fix it later.

The live viewer thing will also give you live code which is pretty cool. You can insert this into a browser to get result.

qrhrgx.png

In the resulting code, I could put ALL html/javascript/css inside of the <script>, but I chose not to because I've been told its better to create an element inside of HTML. It would also be nice to implement themes for controls (Like in .net);

x5xc1c.png

I don't want to make this myself, I just think this would be a great idea for Erel or someone else in the B4X community to work on.

Here are some great reasons this should be made:
  • Easily use existing JS libraries (Since it would probably just be a straight conversion which is fairly simple I believe)
  • Web Apps are compatible with more devices; my preview works on Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, IOS, and others.
  • No license required to publish these.
However, I think there are reasons it shouldn't be made:
  • All of your code is easily accessed (In web browser language)
  • Less device access (Cannot create as specific application), and is a lot slower than a native application since it is not reading interpreted code.
But here are some nice things that are already supported because you could use them inside of B4Web (If they make it)
  • Sockets (TCP,UDP,Websocket,etc..)
  • Lots of amazing drawing libraries
  • Everything from timing events to creating controls in runtime
  • And so much more...

lucasheer

Licensed User
Longtime User
@ivan.tellez @b4auser1 Those are not web apps created by B4J. They were not made in a B4X program. If you look at this, you will actually notice there is no actual game code. Its basically you making a GUI and server responding to do something.

If this were creating a real web app (converting Basic to Javascript), then you would be able to compile this game to play offline; which is currently impossible.

ivan.tellez

Licensed User
Longtime User
then you would be able to compile this game to play offline

Please reconsider "your" definition of web app.
"In computing, a web application or web app is a client–server software application which the client (or user interface) runs in a web browser. "

converting Basic to Javascript), then you would be able to compile

Again, please reconsider your BASIC understanding about programming. Javascript is a interpreted programming language, it can't be compiled.o_O

lucasheer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Please reconsider "your" definition of web app.
"In computing, a web application or web app is a client–server software application which the client (or user interface) runs in a web browser. "

Again, please reconsider your BASIC understanding about programming. Javascript is a interpreted programming language, it can't be compiled.o_O

Maybe compile was the wrong word (I don't think about what I say). However, Basic is by far one of my favorite languages. I would like to be able to use it to make offline WEB APPS not online WEB APPS. I have already been using XOJO, but it is the same as what you are talking about (A basic server authoritative page). What I mean by server authoritative is that the server tells the client what to do and the client never does anything for itself. As you already know, this restricts many amazing things that you could normally do.

If there were a B4Web, you could easily use existing java scripts. This is because of what you said before, because javascript is interpreted.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Javascript is a interpreted programming language, it can't be compiled.

this is kind of not 100% true ;)

M$ also has javascript next to vbscript as host scripting language (windows clients & server PCs) and there are options to compile it into an EXE.
(as file dropper executing or real convert)

altho those are pure console (dosbox/commandpromt) only.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Web app can be written in many languages.
As far as I know, the common languages use to develop web app are PHP, ASP.NET using VB or C#, Java or NetBeans, C++, Perl, Ruby on Rails, Django and so on.

Now I use ASP.NET since I come from VB6 and Classic ASP background and it is easy to implement in IIS.

I also learn to use PHP to write web services for my B4A app using Httputils library. The benefit of PHP is, it is supported in most shared hosting server.
There are free hosting such as 000webhost that support PHP. I use Laragon to test my PHP web app in windows.

Reason why I don't use Java or JSP is that I don't find any free or shared hosting for my testing. I have to look for dedicated server.
Another question need to be consider is the backend database. Are we going to use Oracle database?

If someone wish to develop something like B4Web, I hope the code is compiled into ASP/ASP.NET. Why we need another IDE since we already have Visual Studio or Mono? Some developers like me may have familiar with B4X style and VS.NET interface is too heavy or bloated.

Why not PHP? There are already a lot of PHP IDE for free and it is better to learn and write in PHP instead converting it from BASIC.

I play around with Xojo IDE some times and its community is very active. However, I feel it is focus more on Apple Mac or iOS devices.

There is one Linux IDE I like is Gambas which support programming with BASIC. It also support web app development.